Question 2 across middle seat in 2006 dodge durango

Venusjems

I have a 2006 dodge durango with three rows of seats. I have an 18 month old and another baby on the way. I also have a 15, 13, 11 yo that have to have access to the back seat. I am trying to figure out what combination car seats to put in the second row passenger and middle seat positions, so that i can still 'flip' the third seat (behind driver) down and the older kids can crawl into the back seat.

Im hesitant about putting car seats in the back row, as its a short bench seat with no LATCH anchors. Id just feel safer with the 'babies' in the second row. Does anyone have experience with this configuration?

I currently have an Alpha Omega convertible for the 18th month old. But i am willing to purchase two new seats if i have to. I believe that i will have to have him in the middle seat (ff) because both my husband and I are over 6ft, and the driver seat has to be all the way in the 'back' position, i dont believe i will be able to have the infant seat in the middle rear facing at the incline it needs to be. With the baby we had him rf behind the passenger seat and there was enough room.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

So in your second row, you need the outboard drivers side free to be able to access the 3rd row?

Have you tried the AO rear-facing in the center at a 30 degree angle? Since he is older (and presuming he has good, normal control) he does not need to be at a 45 degree angle, in fact it is safer for him to be more upright. Doing this provides for more room front to back.

Does your infant seat fit in the center?

Thinking you might be able to get these two seats installed side by side (one center, one outboard passenger side) while both rear-facing. What infant seat do you have? Also, just wanted to make sure if the seat is from the older child that it isn't expired.

Venusjems

Thanks for the response.

I have a baby trend infant seat. Not sure of the exact model, i have to get it out of the attic, i only used it for 3 months or so, then got the convertible one i am using now.

It fits in the middle seat, but i cant fold down either side seat to access the back. Also the driver seat has to be in an akward upright position for my husband to fit comfortably driving. Which is why i assumed i could put my 18 month old in the middle ff, if i could just find a seat that fits that narrow seat.

(You would think with a big 'dodge durango' there is more room between the seats then there really is.)

I havent really tried any combination other than the two seats that i have right now and there is not enough room for that end seat to go down. I have just now been getting serious (baby in 8 weeks or so), that i started my research. It just seems like every seat is too 'wide' for that middle seat. (its a 40/20/40 bench).

aeormsby

A couple ideas for you...

Installing the outboard seat with the seatbelt will most likely give you more room in the center. With the seatbelt you can scoot the seat closer to the door.

Some narrower convertibles are the Radian models, the Safety 1st Complete Air & Avenue. I would probably try the Radian RF in the center for your toddler with the infant seat outboard.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is your 18 month old FF already?

We strongly suggest that you keep children rearfacing until an absolute minimum of two years, preferably 3-4 years, as children (especially toddlers) are 5x safer rearfacing than forward facing. The danger is that because the bones in their necks have not yet ossified, in a crash the spinal column can stretch quite a bit... but the spine can only stretch .25-.5 inches before it breaks. This is called internal decapitation. Here is the story of Joel, who was FFing in an accident at 18 months, as told by his grandfather, who has become quite the advocate for extended rearfacing...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]YouTube- Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos[/ame]

This is why everyone in the thread is suggesting things that might allow your child to remain rearfacing.

The Babytrend seat you have is the narrowest on the market, I believe, so your best bet is going to try a narrow convertible. The AOs are quite wide with the base on. The Radians are the narrowest convertible available, and RF to 45lbs, and the Complete Air is also fairly narrow, and RFs to 40lbs. The trouble with the Radian is that in some vehicles, it doesn't install very upright, and therefore it takes up lots of front-to-back room. The Complete Air tends to install more upright. How much does your son weigh?

For long-term, you could try something like a Radian center, with a MyRide outboard, as those two seats puzzle together very well and despite the girth of the MR, the two seats together actually don't take up as much room as you'd expect. Plus, the MR, when installed upright for an older child, takes up surprisingly minimal front-to-back room.

Additionally, either seat is suitable for a newborn, if you aren't able to get a seat to fit with the infant bucket. You could put the Radian center at a 45* angle, if it would fit between the seats, and the MR outboard at a 30* angle for your older child.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I am doing a seat check tonight in a Durango (not sure of year yet, but probably close to 2006) with a convertible and an infant seat. I will report back any ideas I might get.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Just wanted to post back about my check last night. It was a 2003 Durango.

The center seating position in the 2nd row was incompatible with both of her carseats (a Graco SnugRide and Britax Boulevard.) The buckle stalk was so long that twisting it down 3 full twists as well as leaving it untwisted did not allow for an acceptable install. Both seats had to go outboard.

Her Durango did have the 20/40/20 split and it was hard with a seat in the center to get one of the sides down. If you vehicle is the same, you might be able to do it with a narrower seat.

I'm not sure how much that will help you, but just wanted to update in case it does. :)

Kristydrosgers

I have the same vehicle and haven't decided how we are going to do our seats when the baby comes either. We have the middle seat folded down so the kids can use the cupholders on the back of the seat. My 5 year old can climb to the back through there but it might be harder for your older ones to do that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC