Talk to me about cr-v

ilo

We have still not decided about which car to get. Now I'm thinking about Honda CR-V. I like the mileage & price, DH likes that it is SUV. I'm interested to know if there are any problems concerning carseat installs or any other dirty secrets? We have almost 3 year old DD, I want to keep her RF in the center. I would prefer Radian but some other seat would work too (she is growing out of Boulevard's RF weight limit so we need to get a new seat for her). How is the LATCH, it has one in the middle too? Can we use the middle and one of the side LATCHes at the same time?

If you want please recommend some other cars too. We currently have Jeep Grand Cherokee and I want something at least about the same space but better mileage. It could be Wagon or SUV, only bit over $20 000 as new.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

center LATCH depends on the model year. Are you only looking at new?

The 07+ has 5 lower anchors. The center and passenger side share one, but can only be used for one position at a time. You can do center and driver's side outboard at the same time (the LATCH manual says either one center or two outboard, but I haven't found that to be the case). Outboard TAs are on the seatbacks and center is in the ceiling.

2002-06 has LATCH for the outboard and a TA for the center (but you'll have to use the seatbelt in that position). All three TAs are in the ceiling.

2001 has 3 TAs in the ceiling.

All 2000 and older can have two TAs retrofitted. There are two 8mm weld nuts in the ceiling near the rear window. The part number is 82410-SE3-C01.

ilo

Is the center LATCH with the same spacing than outboard ones? So if there would be a fixed latch (or ISOFIX) seat could it be used in the center?

How are the seat belts? I read somewhere that the middle position is difficult for carseats but I'm not sure if it was only the older models.

Are RF carseats allowed to touch the front seats?

jrmo

I have a 2007 CRV (same as 2010). We have a Radian XT RFing in the center with LATCH. Installs wonderfully! The angle is even pretty good. It does touch the corner of the passenger seat, because of the shared anchor, but you could probably just slightly angle it between the seats pretty easily. I don't know if touching is against the rules, but would be curious to know.
Seatbelt installs ARE harder than LATCH, but I think that's pretty typical of any vehicle. I've installed a BLVD, Scenera, My Ride, and Nautilus all back there with seatbelts, no problem. It's just that fickle Radian...
I don't think the Radian COULD fit rear facing behind either front seat, unless you're pretty short.
The center LATCH spacing is standard, IIRC.

We love our CRV. Great mileage and safety ratings, lots of cargo room. It's awesome. :thumbsup:

crunchierthanthou

Is the center LATCH with the same spacing than outboard ones? So if there would be a fixed latch (or ISOFIX) seat could it be used in the center?

How are the seat belts? I read somewhere that the middle position is difficult for carseats but I'm not sure if it was only the older models.

Are RF carseats allowed to touch the front seats?

It's a dedicated LATCH position with standard spacing.

I think the center seatbelt comes out of the ceiling, which can make things tricky. Having LATCH there will solve the bulk of issues, though.

I'm not sure about touching the seatback, but likely not. I know for sure Honda has a warning in the manual for other vehicles with advanced airbags.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC