Frontier 85...to anyone on the fence

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
DO IT!!!!! :D After having our Frontier 85 for a couple of weeks now...I'm getting good (and fast) and installing that puppy. But the real test happened this weekend. Took a 3hr drive to my mom's for Easter. Which equals sleeping kids. And the results are: NO HEAD SLUMP WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Easter2010026-1.jpg

I can not wait to get the 2nd one for our trip next week. I LOVE how low profile it is...super supportive, even for a littler kiddo...oodles of room to grow...amazing install (LOVE LBP)...seriously my favorite seat ever right now!

:twocents:

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy0608

Glad to hear that you love it!! We do too. :love: DD had the regular Frontier for a few months but we just switched to the FR85. She loves it even more now because of the cupholders. She slept peacefully last night on the way home from visiting family. We don't have any head slump, either. My DD is super thin, but I still think she fits great in the seat. :thumbsup:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Ack! And I had JUST about convinced myself to get a Maestro for Anna instead for her 3rd birthday...

We have the Maestro as our spares. I like it too!! But it doesn't install in the 3rd row of my 'burb, and I have to have the boys in the 3rd row.

BrendansMommy

Gotta say, I'm not feeling that great about my Frontier 85 purchase. I've got a big 5YO and I wouldn't surprised if other big kids don't care for it, either. The space between the two harness straps in really narrow. My DS has complained NONSTOP about it chafing, pinching, and hurting him--even with the neck pads. He does not have any kind of sensory issue, and is not a complainer (well, except about veggies).

I'd hoped to get another 2 solid years harnessing out of this seat. Now, I'm hoping to make it to his 6th birthday in December.

I'm so disappointed.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I've had a 50+lbs 7yr old in it for a 3hr trip, and she didn't complain about the straps. I hope my boys don't complain in the future...but so far, so good!! And one is good sized...not husky...just tall.

Mommy0608

The straps do seem a little close together. DD complained about that on the Complete Air (she hated it!), but so far, no complaints with the Frontier or Frontier 85... she just keeps reminding me to make sure the pad is in place before I tighten so I don't pinch her with the strap. I haven't pinched her, but I'm thinking DH must have since she mentions this every single time we get in the van.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I WANT ONE SOOOO BAD!!!!! I'm waiting out hoping they have some more cover options. DD has two clicks til she is at the top. If they had Sahara I would have ordered one right away. :whistle: Yeah, I'm one of those weird ones that likes the Sahara cover. It matches my van interior perfect.

AETucker7

I WANT ONE SOOOO BAD!!!!! I'm waiting out hoping they have some more cover options. DD has two clicks til she is at the top. If they had Sahara I would have ordered one right away. :whistle: Yeah, I'm one of those weird ones that likes the Sahara cover. It matches my van interior perfect.

I love the Sahara too! I'm buying a FR85 next February and hoping there will be more cover choices by then.

Kat_Momof3

DO IT!!!!! :D After having our Frontier 85 for a couple of weeks now...I'm getting good (and fast) and installing that puppy. But the real test happened this weekend. Took a 3hr drive to my mom's for Easter. Which equals sleeping kids. And the results are: NO HEAD SLUMP WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I can not wait to get the 2nd one for our trip next week. I LOVE how low profile it is...super supportive, even for a littler kiddo...oodles of room to grow...amazing install (LOVE LBP)...seriously my favorite seat ever right now!

:twocents:

and for the little kiddos... don't forget the 9yr lifespan!! at age 11, if that smaller twin still needs a booster, I'd not think twice about getting a backless as long as you have the headrests to accomodate him.

horseymom

so is the distance between the harness straps less than the FR? I love our Fr and plan on getting the FR XT this month. anyone have any pics to compare the harness straps?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I can measure the distance between the harness on the F85, but don't have the original Frontier to compare it against.

noahsmom24

Everyone is talking about the space between the two harness straps being to narrow, Does anyone know how this compares with the Regent? I have a big 2.5yr old & first of all we have no neck pads for the regent but either way even if I did have them I dont think it would help that much. The straps go into his neck, I always make sure that I take the collar of his shirt & put it between the straps and his neck. So wondering if the FR85 would be a good purchase Idea for us? What about the Width of the FR85 Compared to the Regent?
:)

BrendansMommy

Everyone is talking about the space between the two harness straps being to narrow, Does anyone know how this compares with the Regent? I have a big 2.5yr old & first of all we have no neck pads for the regent but either way even if I did have them I dont think it would help that much. The straps go into his neck, I always make sure that I take the collar of his shirt & put it between the straps and his neck. So wondering if the FR85 would be a good purchase Idea for us? What about the Width of the FR85 Compared to the Regent?
:)

We had a Regent and he never complained about this. Of course he hasn't ridden in it since it was wrecked in October. He's never complained about it in his Nauti, either. I really need to get out there an measure it. I've still got the Regent in the garage, so I'll try to measure that one, too.

For reference, we had his 5 year well child yesterday--four months late :eek:. He was 48.5 lbs and 48 inches (I think) tall. He is exactly in the 85th percentile for height and weight. So he's big, but not huge, KWIM?

essnce629

so is the distance between the harness straps less than the FR? I love our Fr and plan on getting the FR XT this month. anyone have any pics to compare the harness straps?

I have both a FR and FR85, but the FR is in DH's car and he doesn't get home till late every night. I just measured the distance between the straps in the FR85 and got about 3.5". DS1 has never complained about the FR (or Regent) straps ever and he didn't complain about the FR85 straps when I made him sit in the seat in the house. But our FR85 hasn't been installed in the car yet, so DS1 hasn't ridden in it.

vrclay

Hmmm...more to think about. I just saw this as I was in the baby store checking out the Radian XTSL. My child is too big to use the Radian RFing but I like that it is a slim seat. I like the Frontier 85 because it can be adjusted witout un-installing. We drive a Prius with 2 seats - currently a BLVD and Safeseat. Children are 2.5 years and 40lbs and 8 months and 20lbs. Any and all advice appreciated.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Old Frontier measured 3 inches exactly between the straps. I'd have to completely rearrange the shed to get to a Regent. Not happening, sorry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC