2002 NHTSA Compliance testing-Britax seats failed???

U

Unregistered

In the 2002 compliance testing it shows that the Britax Roundabout, Expressway and Traveler Plus all failed the performance testing that the NHTSA did (UST lab) . The roundabout and SUper Elite failed the performance testing at the second lab used (ver lab) . Am I misreading this? I am assuming the problems have been fixed before the seats are sold??? Is that correct?? Does any one know why the seats failed the performance testing?

Here's the site. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/2002s213.html

Thanks!

ADS

carlsoc2

CPS Technician
I was just looking into this a couple weeks back in regard to the FY2001 data and contacted the folks at NHTSA about what those test results mean. I went so far as to read all 206 pages of the lab test procedures posted at

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testi...s/TP-213-4a.pdf
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testi...s/TP-213-4b.pdf
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testi...s/TP-213-4c.pdf
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testi...s/TP-213-4d.pdf
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testi...s/TP-213-4e.pdf

This is what Tony Lazzaro had to say:

A performance failure means that the child restraint system tested failed at least one of the performance requirements specified in FMVSS No. 213. These requirements are included in section S5 of this standard. [Tony attached a pdf of the standard for me but as yet I have not had a chance to read it in detail.]

If the performance test failure for a particular child restraint system deals with key dynamic test results, this information is contained in the table of test results titled "CHILD SAFETY SEAT TEST DATA (DYNAMIC TESTS)". This table summaries the dynamic test results in the areas of Head Injury Criteria, Chest Acceleration, Head Excursion, Knee Excursion, and Seat Back Angle. [This table] contains several key dynamic test results but does not contain the results for all dynamic test requirements. Therefore, a noted performance failure in the combined (dyn
amic and component) table but not in the key dynamic test results table could be due to a failure for another dynamic test requirement or a component related failure. To differentiate, you can look at the test laboratory code. If the specified laboratory code is UST, then the failure would be component related.

To obtain more information on another type of performance test failure for a specific child restraint system, please feel free to contact Zack Fraser ((202)-366-5754) or myself.

Repeat tests are conducted for certain performance test failures on a case-by-case basis as deemed necessary.

After the company determines that it has manufactured a noncompliant product, the company is required by Title 49 U.S.C. 30118, 30119 and 30120 to promptly initiate a notification and remedy campaign (recall).

So, all but 1 of the performance failures listed in the FY2001 test results table were from UST lab and so were a component failure. The 1 that was a dynamic failure was the Britax Advantage and it has a recall listed for some 2001 models dealing with the tether separating under crash loads which would be a dynamic failure.

I have not had a chance to look at the test results for FY2002 that you referenced yet. I'm guessing however that those you indicate had failures in a lab may have had recalls issued on them as a result of the test failures or were retested and found to pass. Car seat companies self certify their seats. Meaning they have their products tested in independent labs or in their own labs to ensure they meet FMVSS 213 before putting them in production/on the market. IIRC, NHTSA purchases seats off-the-shelf just like you or I would to conduct their performance tests.

My suggestion would be to contact

Tony Lazzaro at 202-366-5304
alazzaro@nhtsa.dot.gov

or

Zach Fraizer at 202-366-5754
zfrazier@nhtsa.dot.gov

to discuss what components or dynamic failures happened for a particular seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There's a bit more:

I received this from a manufacturer's representative:

NHTSA posts failing results on the website even before a manufacturer is advised of the failure. When the manufacturer gets the report, it happens all too often that the NHTSA-used test lab made errors in testing or lab interpretation of instructions and subsequent testing proves that there is no problem. Unfortunately, the erroneous results are never removed from the website leading consumers to assume the worst. We and other manufacturers have tried without success to have this situation corrected.

So, as with other published comparisons like the NHTSA Ease-of-Use ratings and the Consumer Reports ratings, I think the lesson is to take those results with a grain of salt:)

Darren

bazanna

Senior Community Member
hmmm....while i will TOTALLY agree to take the results with a grain of salt like darren mentioned, i find this
NHTSA posts failing results on the website even before a manufacturer is advised of the failure.
hard to believe. has anyone else noticed how SLOW the NHTSA is to update any of their sites? i know i don't trust them for up-to-date recall information......

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hehe-

Perhaps sending something out of the building via mail requires and Act of Congress, whereas website updates just need Dr. Runge's approval?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC