Honda Pilot

Nisha

Is there any chance I can get 5 car seats installed in a Honda pilot? (2004-2006)
We're looking at buying one but not sure how car seat friendly they are and we aren't home so can't try the car seats in them!

Car seats would be any combination of 2 radians, 1 true fit, 1 turbo booster, 1 scenera, 1 regent and 1 turbo booster.

ADS

Lys

Senior Community Member
Yes, you'd just have to put one of the booster in the second row and remove it everytime to have access to the 3rd row.
The Regent will even fit in the 40 part of the 60/40 2nd row split seat and allow the 60 part to slide forward.

Nisha

Yes, you'd just have to put one of the booster in the second row and remove it everytime to have access to the 3rd row.
The Regent will even fit in the 40 part of the 60/40 2nd row split seat and allow the 60 part to slide forward.

So if I put a Regent & Turbo in the 2nd row would I actually be able to fit 3 car seats in the 3rd row?

And did I read correctly that all of the pilots (2002+) have 6 top tether anchors?

Lys

Senior Community Member
So if I put a Regent & Turbo in the 2nd row would I actually be able to fit 3 car seats in the 3rd row?

And did I read correctly that all of the pilots (2002+) have 6 top tether anchors?

Yes, 6 top tether anchors.

I was just saying the Regent would fit in the 2nd row to show how much room is there. I haven't done 3 in the 3rd row.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, without question. Especially if you're open to buying more seats. I have six installed in there right now. :) (It's not easy, though.)

Mine's a 2006, LATCH only in outboard 2nd row, tethers in all six positions.

I need to go to bed but I can reply more tomorrow with what I've fit and how. The second row is great, third is tricky.

Wow, I'd love to see pics. Of the 3rd row in particular. I've sat back there next to a Blvd. It's... tight. And I'm not exactly the fluffiest person either.

Carrie_R

Before I start, I'll note that I'm not a tech, but I'm pretty confident in my installs and have checked a number of things here via pictures.

Yes, tight would be an appropriate word. I question if I have come up with the most compact not-all-Radians puzzle ever, lol.

In the third row, my 3-acrosses are pretty limited; I have done (driver to passenger) RF Radian, RF MR, RF Coccoro; Radian/MR/Monterey, and I also accomplished Radian/Coccoro/Monterey this past week. If you have an older child, who is legal to sit without a booster, they certainly may pass the 5-step test without one back there, as well, which would help. I watch a 52" 90lb 8yo who passes five step, but he won't stay in position, so we use a booster for him. His 48" 65lb 6yo brother *almost* passes (I would not allow him to ride without a booster regardless, but just for sake of how those belts are back there.)

My typical setup is the Radian/MR/Coccoro, all RF, and I load them through the hatch. I NEVER thought that would be the setup that would work, but it's actually amazingly perfect. We don't have to fold the second row down at all to access the third row; the kids hop up/get lifted into the trunk area, take their shoes off, and pop over the back of the seat. I keep the headrests off, so it's pretty low, and even my older RFers are totally comfy back there. I am able to lift my 1yos into their seats while standing on the ground (and I'm only 5'4",) but I do have to climb into the hatch to buckle.

I have to have the second row slid all the way up to get those seats back there, although the 40 part where the Coccoro is can be slid back a few clicks.

Photos (It appears my second row here is Nautilus/RF Scenera/Monterey FWIW):

Best comprehensive shot I can get --

downsize-17-1-1.jpg

And from the side, to illustrate front to back room --

downsize-18-1-1.jpg

The Radian is braced. I would say that putting the front seat up changes the seat angle 1-2* at absolute most, but I'm truly not sure if it's changing the angle or just "settling" it by pushing the seat up against it. At any rate, I'm comfortable with the bracing.

I have "illustrated" photos of how the puzzling and depths work here and here if you're interested.

Before I figured out my third row setup, I had a Nautilus back there (60 portion, it doesn't fit on the 40, or I should say it doesn't fit easily/well on the 40,) as well as the Monterey. I can tell you that a Turbo does NOT fit on the 40 part of the bench; you can't quite get the buckle buckled. The high rise works great there, the Monterey works fine, I've also tried an old school Parkway and FPSVB back there (in my 3-across actually) and they work fine.

The second row has had a lot more combinations in there. This past week alone, I did (d to p) Monterey/Nautilus/Turbo, Nautilus/EBig Kid/Turbo, Nautilus/Turbo/FF MR, and Monterey/Nautilus/Cosco High Rise. All of the above were highback. My typical setup is Mont/Naut/ and then either a Pronto or a RF or FF Scenera on the 40 part. I can switch the Monterey and Scenera without a problem, except that I can't RF the Scenera there and then have to choose between tethering the Scenera or Radian. With the Scenera on the passenger side, I have the Radian using the drivers' side second row tether, the Nautilus using the center tether, and can tether the Scenera FFing. (The child in the Scenera is a tiny 4yo, so she changes directions based on however I throw the seat in that day.)

When I first got the vehicle I believe my combination was Scenera (?), RF Radian, RF MR. I was able to take out whatever the drivers' seat was and put a baseless SR22 in there for someone, and the MR and Radian were *not* puzzling in that sceneraio. They were side by side and totally independent.

The high rise is a spare backless I cart around with me, so it's buckled in just for transportation purposes, but here are a few pics of my current second row setup:

From the side --

downsize-21-1.jpg

Buckling this Monterey is super fun :rolleyes: (Not really hard or painful, just a trick to be learned...)

downsize-22-1.jpg

A bit of an "aerial" shot of the High Rise. The side of the Nauti overhangs the split just a smidge, so I can't fold down that part of the seat, but you still have tons of room on the 40 side.

downsize-23-1.jpg

Be aware that with the third row in use, there is zilch in terms of cargo space. I have a Graco Stroller -- one of the singles that would come with the travel system -- and it doesn't fit back there. I need to get an umbrella, one of the nicer ones, but don't want to spend the cash since I primarily wear lol. I borrowed a friend's Chicco this past week (I think it was a Capri) and I had to balance it very carefully on top of the stack of jackets, etc that lives back there.

I think that's all of mine I have to share, I hope it gives you an idea of the room that you have in each row and what can be done with some very careful puzzling.

Without knowing what kids you have and what combo of seats you need, I would think your best bet would either be to put the TF RF in the 3rd row, along with another seat (not a Turbo, although another booster with a child that could buckle it would be ideal) on the 3rd row, and load them through the hatch, or the Regent and a booster, if the child can buckle themselves into the Regent, and also load them through the hatch. If you're not interested in loading through the hatch, you *might* be able to get a 3-across with FF Radian/RF Radian/booster in the back, and then put two seats in the second row, but I don't think you could fit two same-direction Radians on the 60 in the 3rd row.

Otherwise, without hatch loading, I would do as Lysandra suggested and put two seats (one of the wider seats and a Radian, maybe) in the 3rd row, and make sure you put a booster on the 40 part of the second row, to access the 3rd row that way.

I hope that wasn't information overload. I just went through trying to get a vehicle that would fit six seats in it, and there just wasn't a lot of info out there, so based on that experience I feel like more information is better than less information. :)

Thanks so much for the pics. I'm shocked you could fit a MR in there. Even with a RN and Cocorro. That's very good to hear.

Carrie_R

Thanks so much for the pics. I'm shocked you could fit a MR in there. Even with a RN and Cocorro. That's very good to hear.

One of the pics that I linked (but didn't put in the thread) -- the first one I think -- explains the "why" of the MR. Honestly, I don't know that a Radian would work there, maybe a FF one, but the base of the MR is so darned narrow that if it's all that's in play (ie, it puzzles over whatever seats or next to it, and/or the cupholders on the side of the vehicle,) it actually has quite a narrow footprint. I may have measured 11"? That's what sticks in my mind.

Of course I put the CCO there so I could probably do RN/CCO with another RN or CCO... I had an awful time getting the CCO tight when I first tried it, which is how I ended up with the MR in the middle.

I've had 3-acrosses in a number of vehicles in the 8 or so years I've had my job, and this is by far the most difficult... but it works, which is what matters lol. And why I was so nonchalant about five being no problem for the OP, although I'd expect it to end up two in the way back and three in the second row.

Nisha

So do the MR & RA puzzle that well FF?

We bought the Pilot but I won't be home to all my car seats until next week so I've got some playing ahead of me!

Carrie_R

So do the MR & RA puzzle that well FF?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I bought both seats as ERF seats, and have not had reason to use them FFing, really... I've used the MR maybe twice FFing in a pinch, and "installed" the RN FFing once to secure it for transport, but that's it. Never together. My understanding, though, is that they puzzle well as long as going the same direction. I would think with how upright the RN is, and how *not* upright the MR is, you wouldn't have a problem, though.

We bought the Pilot but I won't be home to all my car seats until next week so I've got some playing ahead of me!

Congratulations :)

If you plan on trying to get 3 in the back seat, set aside several hours lol. Three in the second row shouldn't take you too long, though.

Good luck! :)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I found it easier to access the 3rd row from the trunk than climbing through the 2nd row when I had a Pilot. Just something to consider if you have trouble.

Carrie_R

I found it easier to access the 3rd row from the trunk than climbing through the 2nd row when I had a Pilot. Just something to consider if you have trouble.

:yeahthat:

Definitely. I even load my booster riders through the trunk. FF harnesses would be hard, if the child can't do them themselves, which is why I suggested RFers and booster kids who can buckle themselves back there :)

I'm so used to loading through the hatch now that I can't imagine how I would get by loading through the second row. Seems like it would be a major PITA.

Nisha

Thanks for all the advice!

So here's what I've got...

Middle row,
Turbo Booster, FF Radian, FF Radian
3rd row RF Scenera nothing RF True Fit.

It works well because I rarely have to go out when I have 5 kids so I don't keep the scenera installed, and it's a quick install in the back. I use the Radian's for my kids anyway, DD rides in the turbo when we're driving aournd town but in the Radian for highway driving (I don't do that with daycare kids) and the booster is on the 40 split in case we need to access the 3rd row.

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

As you can see, not really room for anything between the TF & Scenera but I don't need a 6th seat in there anyway!
IMG_1517.jpg

And it's SUPER EASY to load the RF toddlers through the back hatch!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Great pics! We are seriously considering the Pilot in the near future, and for right now we'd probably put DD1 in her Regent in the 3rd row with DS and DD2 in the 2nd row. In the future when we're fostering again we'd move DD2 to the back and put DS and DFK in the 2nd row. We'll be driving with an extra passenger very frequently so we need an accessible empty seat.

rodentranger

I have a 2003 and I've never been able to get a rf seat in the third row. I'm impressed! The most I've done is 3 rf MAs in the second row, and the third row from driver to passenger was Vivo, squished adult, ff Wizard.

Nisha

I have a 2003 and I've never been able to get a rf seat in the third row. I'm impressed! The most I've done is 3 rf MAs in the second row, and the third row from driver to passenger was Vivo, squished adult, ff Wizard.

Interesting. The seats in the 3rd row are pretty upright but I wouldn't be afraid to put my 6 mos old niece in one. The second row is also scooted forward 2 or 3 clicks.

Carrie_R

Great job. :) When I had my van, and people would talk about loading their kids through the hatch I thought they must all be insane... then I ended up with my Pilot in the current setup and it all makes sense now! LOL!

Jessi, did you try with the second row scooted forward a few clicks? Mine is all the way up due to the Radian, but on the passenger side where I have the Coccoro it's only up a click or two.

Nisha

Great job. :) When I had my van, and people would talk about loading their kids through the hatch I thought they must all be insane... then I ended up with my Pilot in the current setup and it all makes sense now! LOL!

I felt the same way! With our Windstar, there's NO WAY I could load kids in the hatch without crawling in first and that would be totally not possible with holding kids, shifting clothes, etc!
But I can stand on the ground and lift these little ones (they are 18 mos and 20 mos so that's very handy!) right in and over the seat and even buckle them in without crawling in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC