Feedback - using mirrors for rear facers to see DVD player

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Does not work! :D Just thought I'd let everyone know.

I bought a nice, extra large mirror that attached to the tether anchor. I also tried an older, smaller mirror that we already had. Here are the problems:
  1. the mirror is convex so distorts the DVD player image
  2. no matter how tight you have the mirror, it vibrates opposite to the vehicle motion and makes the DVD player image bounce whereas the actual DVD player moves *with* the vehicle
  3. no matter what angle you set it to, as you drive it adjusts itself slightly and sometimes can be enough that the DVD player image isn't even in the mirror anymore
  4. the DVD player image is totally tiny and nothing like watching the actual DVD player
DD was all excited and after a couple minutes was just craning her neck and eyes to see the actual DVD player since even though it was uncomfortable, it was still way better than the crappy mirror setup.

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Huh. Interesting. Until recently, DD watched movies regularly while RFing with a mirror - and we have the same vehicle. She never complained, but then again she is only 3. I only took out the mirror because we are no longer watching movies in the car.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Huh. Interesting. Until recently, DD watched movies regularly while RFing with a mirror - and we have the same vehicle. She never complained, but then again she is only 3. I only took out the mirror because we are no longer watching movies in the car.
My DD is also 3. She didn't complain, she just didn't use it after a couple minutes. Perhaps if they've never watched the actual DVD player any other way they don't know any different? DD had already been craning her neck for a bit so knows how big an actual movie is supposed to be.

Did you actually take a look at how terrible it was? Older DD saw it and told me after, "mom, you can NOT let her watch movies that way!". So, I sat in the back and took a look and agreed it was terrible; totally small and made me feel ill due to the vibration. Didn't matter anyway, since DD wouldn't watch in it.

NannyMom

Don't some vehicles have a DVD player for the 3rd row too? I think they should put one there, that can swivel backwards for the 2nd row RFs :whistle:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Don't some vehicles have a DVD player for the 3rd row too? I think they should put one there, that can swivel backwards for the 2nd row RFs :whistle:
Not sure. I wanted an extra screen for ours, and I looked into getting one installed that linked into the current system (DD likes to listen without headphones, so a separate player doesn't do us any good as we play the sound over the speakers), but most places told me it wasn't possible and the one that thought it was possible had the cost of the extra screen being unacceptable pricey (I seem to recall over $500 PLUS installation, it was stupid).

If DD still had years of RF ahead of her, I'd do it, but with her turning four in the fall, the investment doesn't make as much sense.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC