LATCH

ChckLiz

So I got to use LATCH *and tether* for the first time today! My car doesn't have either one but I was riding with my mom in my brother's car and it does. I put Jonah's seat FF and got a GREAT install. Now.. I may be completely stupid or it's just because I've never used it before.. but when you're uninstalling the LATCH.. you have to losen the strap before you can unlock it.. right? It took me forever to get his seat out of the car! I kept pushing on the red button and nothing would happen.. finally I got it to losen a little and was able to unlock it. Is that what it's suposed to do? Like I said.. first time I've gotten to use it.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sometimes you need to give it slack.

Just know that a lot of cars don't allow for center LATCH use.

Wendy

ChckLiz

My brother's doesn't. It's a Toyota Corrola and it has little pics at the bottom of the outboard seats that shows where the latch is. I guess you can install a ff seat with tether in the middle though as it has that there too.

ChckLiz

Yes.. I know, bad ERF mommy. I wanted to try out the tether as I don't have them.. wanted to see how to use it for future use, and my brother's car is the only one that has them. Also I was handing him his lunch while on the way to the park, it's the only way I can reach him.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes.. I know, bad ERF mommy. I wanted to try out the tether as I don't have them.. wanted to see how to use it for future use, and my brother's car is the only one that has them. Also I was handing him his lunch while on the way to the park, it's the only way I can reach him.

What I did while Piper was rear facing was have her put her hands straight up. I could pass her things right over her head. If I needed to get her attention I tapped the top of her head.

Wendy

Maedze

What I did while Piper was rear facing was have her put her hands straight up. I could pass her things right over her head. If I needed to get her attention I tapped the top of her head.

Wendy

:thumbsup:

In fact, for a while, before he was verbal, DS1's sign for "feed me, I'm hungry" was to lift his hands above and beyond his head, because that's where it comes from in the car...like manna from heaven ;)

I definitely understand wanting to attempt a different install, but I absolutely do not recommend then using a forward facing install for a 20 month old just so you can hand him food.

NannyMom

Wendy

That's what I do with my 3year old and 15 month old.

Kat_Momof3

not bad mommy... not that I would put him ff, but I understand your thinking and I KNOW from your previous posts that you put a lot of thought and care into everything you do with/for him... I know you're a good mom.

(probably not necessary to say, but thought I'd say that bit anyway :love: )

I definitely get the desire to try out a different install... I was actually expecting to here "He didn't ride that way... I was trying it out and then turned it around and installed it for him rearfacing when I was done" :eek:

Wendy

I did that when Damian was a baby... and when Ruthie was in the center of our old buick... once we got the van, it was easier... (and in a sedan I might do this if it worked more easily, especially with a taller seat) with the seat outboard (I had no middle row center seat, of course, anyway) to have Ruthie rearfacing diagonally from me... then I could simply wait for a stoplight and lean to hand her things over the side of her seat.

In fact, I think it was easier than trying to hand a ff kid something... because the seat helps "catch" the smaller and/or softer items... now, I still have to wait for that red light... and I usually have to toss the smaller/softer items... and hope they land where I want them to, or pass them to one of the boys first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC