Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Posted for Caramia - TV/VCR safety

I am planning a very long car trip with two children. I have been looking at a product that attaches a 9 inch tv/vcr between the two front seats. The tv/vcr fits into a case that has straps that attach to the two front seats.

Do you know if this product is safe?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

i think i would follow the carseat rule, that is, any aftermarket product that doesn't come from or is not ok'ed by the manufacturer is not safe. if it's been crash tested by the vehicle's manufacturer and they say it's ok then i'd be ok with it.
    YES I am a certified CPS Technician...Internet advice is never the same as having someone actually look at your seats, your kids, and your car. Have your seats CHECKED by a Technician.

It depends-

The answer depends a lot on how well you think those straps can withstand the forces in a crash. If it is a picutre tube TV rather then an LCD screen, then it could easily have 500 pounds of force or more in a severe frontal crash. If it does break loose, it could seriously injure an occupant.

I have a bag VCR with a small LCD screen. I mounted it with straps behind one of the front seats, wedged into the space in front of my daughter's rear-facing carseat. I then attached the lightweight LCD screens to the headrests. You can see it here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/16936168.jpg

I think the risk of the bag section becoming a projectile is much lower this way, though it would be even better to put it under a seat. The LCD screens won't become a projectile, but they are still a small risk that the child's head could hit them in a severe crash.

For these reasons, we only use the video system on long trips. I don't have it in the vehicle for day-to-day use. There is certainly added risk depending on how you install it, but only you can decide how much risk you will accept...