Questioning rfing

christineka

How bad would it be to turn my 30 pound 3 yo ffing in his radian? I know rfing as long as possible is preferred, but would it be all that bad to put ds ffing?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
FFing for convenience and preference at age 3 is "better" than doing it at 12 months and probably "worse" than waiting until 4. How much so? We don't know. It's safe. It may not be safeST.

crunchierthanthou

no, not terrible.

At that age I'd say to do what works best for you - especially if he's causing problems rf. :twocents: I know some posters think that's just rewarding negative behavior, but having him hurt his siblings isn't a battle I would want to fight every drive.

He's to the age that a properly harnessed and tethered ff child is certainly safe enough. Sure, rear facing could be safer, but that doesn't make him unsafe. Sometimes it seems that we forget rf and ff preschoolers aren't on opposite ends of the spectrum. It's not like you're talking about ff a 9 month old or putting your active little guy in a booster.

christineka

I'm just wondering if it is worth selling and buying or trading seats. I really don't like the avenue- not because I think it isn't safe- just because I think it's a pain. The radian we have won't rf in that spot. (Ds is in the avenue now.) I was looking at getting a true fit and agonizing between regular and the premium. Then I thought, why does it matter that ds stay rfing for so long anyway? It is nice to have him rfing so he'll doze easily and keep all of his stuff in his seat. I also don't appreciate having my seat kicked or to have shoes on my arm rest. It's also easier to reach a child rfing to buckle in my opinion. It's hard to make decisions sometimes. Also, it might reduce the amount of violence that he causes.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It wouldn't bother me at all. I turned my 2 yr old, who weighs 32 lbs, FF on his 2nd birthday. Having him RFing meant he screamed and threw things at his brothers on every drive, and then he'd start head banging. He's consideribly happier FF, and not as nasty to those around him.

ceruti82

I think it is a parental decision in this case. It is safest to continue to RF, but for a 3 year old, its not Totally Unsafe. its a big pat on the back for going RF this long :thumbsup: think of all the 3 yr old in boosters......!
I have made a choice to FF my 2 1/2 year old out of comfort. She was getting very uncomfortable RF on longer trips (making for miserable car rides), which we take on most weekends, and doing a RF-FF switch every weekend just isnt realistic.
I am glad that i went 2 1/2 years RF, so much longer than most of America. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Is the child closer to 3 or closer to 4? At closer to 3, I'd totally sell or get new seats if I had the funds to do so. Close to 4, probably not.

christineka

Is the child closer to 3 or closer to 4? At closer to 3, I'd totally sell or get new seats if I had the funds to do so. Close to 4, probably not.

He's 3 and 2 months. I lean towards rfing for convenience and because I said he would rf to 4. I'm just stressing out about buying, selling, and making a decision upon trades. I'm also worried I'll get a true fit and find out I don't like it or it won't work or something. I did see one once, but didn't put it in my van.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
He's 3 and 2 months. I lean towards rfing for convenience and because I said he would rf to 4. I'm just stressing out about buying, selling, and making a decision upon trades. I'm also worried I'll get a true fit and find out I don't like it or it won't work or something. I did see one once, but didn't put it in my van.
That's the exact age I bought DD a seat to RF longer. I went with the MR as she was close to the RF weight limit of her TF.

About a month ago, DD rode FF in her RF for 3 hours. She was a pain! She reached her feet out to rest on the seat in front so feet in the back (as you said), she was LOUD (their voices carry so much more FF!) and it was way harder to buckle her in a vehicle with regular opening doors (as opposed to sliding doors in a van) because your buckling them near the door hinge instead of the wide open part when RF.

Irishmama

If you're comfortable with it, why not try ff him for a few short rides and see what you think before you go through buying/selling/trading seats? Maybe it'll help you make your decision one way of the other.

Mommy2Marcus

I do not think it is horrible at all. However you're going to get mixed reviews on it. I turned my DS at about 3 years & 3 months old. He will not be 4 untill the begining of October. I am perfectly fine with it. He had been begging me to go FF & it was begining to make my back hurt even worse to continue to climb into the back seat to buckle him.

So, I turned him to see how I would feel about it. I felt fine with him FF, so I left him that way. It made it alot easier on me & him. I felt like he was in a properly installed seat with properly tightened harness & a top tether, so he is safe. My goal was to make it to 3 & I did!

Good Luck with your decision. I know it is a hard one to make. I was torn about it for several weeks before I decided to make the change.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC