Want to convince Pedi to advocate ERF

hrice

At my 9 mo check up with my son (who weighs 22 lbs) my pediatrician said at 1 yr I can turn his car seat to forward facing. This really irritated me! I told him I plan to rear face my children until 3-4 yrs of age. I have been festering over his advice ever since and have decided to have a heart to heart with him at our 12 mo appt. I want to come up with an informative hand out that he can give to parents with all the benefits of ERF. I figured it is worth a shot. I may be able to change his opinion. What I am asking for is advice on what to say to him and for the CPS technicians to help create the hand out.

Opinions, thoughts, input...?

ADS

hrice

I forgot to add that I plan to take a CPS certification course in June and will be certified before the 12 mo appt!:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Safety Belt Safe has great printables/reproducibles as well as articles on their website. I bet you could print out a package on best practice guidelines and if he was WILLING to be convinced that would do it. (They stress at least to 2, while I prefer to stress "as long as possible." But still, 2 is better than 1!)

Angela

Our dr's office had safekids handouts from 2003 when I went in a few months ago! I contacted Safekids and they sent me some to give to the Dr. The only issue is that it doesn't STRESS ERF but does mention it. That might be a step in the right direction.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yup, stick w/ stuff from the AAP. I just talked to Dr. Laura Jana about this since my pedi asked me to update her about the new rfing stuff after I got back from our state update. :) I still need to get some stuff together for her. I was going to get some AAP stuff and a list of seats that accomodate children to higher weights. It's not enough to tell them they should reccomend rfing, but they need to know that there are many seats out there that can last 2+ yrs. Dr. Jana also informed me they are currently in the revision process of the AAP guidelines and are planning on changing the minimum limits they reccomend.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I was thrilled to see the 2 and 30 recommendation posted in my peds office after the statement in pediatrics. I had actually brought copies to give to her. We talked about it, she sounded 100% supportive. Fast forward to my friends 12 mos apt with her new baby. She said 2 nurses and the freaking ped told her as soon as she hit 20 lbs she could flip her. UGH. My friend asked her about keeping her rf and ped said, oh, yes, you can keep her rf. UGH UGH UGH. She sounded 100% onboard but she has NOT followed through at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC