Which seats to bring on plane?

Stresch

We are flying cross country in two weeks. We are renting a car as well. We'll be gone for a long weekend. Sanna is four and 31 pounds. Karl is 18 months and 24(ish) pounds.

We have 2 Marathons which I would rather leave at home, 1 Roundabout (probably fits either kid), 1 Scenera (definitely fits either kid), and 1 KeyFit which Karl amazingly still fits in.

How hard is it to install the Keyfit without the base?

Is there some sort of wheelie thing that you recommend to help carry the seats through the airport? I know there is the GoGoKidz, but that's kind of pricey.

Anything else to consider?

ADS

aeormsby

I would probably do either the Scenera & Keyfit or Scenera & Roundabout. If you're not comfortable with using the Keyfit without the base I'd bring the Roundabout for the LO and use the Scenera for your DD (will she be FF?). We've used a regular wire luggage cart with the carseats strapped to it, much cheaper than a GoGo kidz.

100_2531.JPG

Stresch

Thanks. She will be forward facing. She's too tall to rearface in the Scenera and is pushing the weight limit on the Marathon.

DahliaRW

The scenera and the keyfit should work well. Way easier to travel without the base (though I've only done it with the SS1). If you bring a stroller, you can put the keyfit in it, then stack the scenera on top (and bags in the seat or in the basket under) to get through the airport. Then you don't have to buy anything and you can just wear the baby through the airport.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I just took a Marathon for my 4 year old, and it was very difficult to unbuckle on the plane, which is too bad because I traveled on two planes down and two planes back - that's four times it was a pain in my butt. I had no access to the belt path through the cover, and airplane buckles obviously don't have a push button release like a car's lap belt, so it was tricky to flip up the release on the belt with no room to do so. I wouldn't go with a Marathon again.

We used the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1270228523&sr=8-1"]Traveling Toddler[/ame] through the airport, which worked excellently.

christi2705

I'd take whatever seats you are most comfortable with. I've flown numerous times with 2 marathons and it was fine. Using a seat belt extender for the ff seat will make it alot easier to unbuckle. To get them through the airport we just bungee them both to our stroller and then I carry ydd in a sling/carrier and let odd walk with a backpack leash.

aeormsby

I just took a Marathon for my 4 year old, and it was very difficult to unbuckle on the plane, which is too bad because I traveled on two planes down and two planes back - that's four times it was a pain in my butt. I had no access to the belt path through the cover, and airplane buckles obviously don't have a push button release like a car's lap belt, so it was tricky to flip up the release on the belt with no room to do so. I wouldn't go with a Marathon again.

The trick with the Marathon on the plane is to recline the plane's seat when installing, then flip the female buckle 180 degrees. Don't tighten all the way, pulling the seatback upright will snug it up, then recline again to unbuckle and there should be some slack so you can get to the buckle.

crunchierthanthou

The trick with the Marathon on the plane is to recline the plane's seat when installing, then flip the female buckle 180 degrees. Don't tighten all the way, pulling the seatback upright will snug it up, then recline again to unbuckle and there should be some slack so you can get to the buckle.

You can also request a seatbelt extended from the flight attendant. That puts the buckles outside the beltpath so you have enough room to lift the latch and release the buckle.

I've done the Marathon on a luggage cart method, too. I used a bungee cord, but played around with it a little more after our trip and it worked to just use the LATCH connectors. You can also stack the two seats on the luggage cart.

RJB78

CPST Instructor

Hmmm...I did recline the seat to uninstall it, but that didn't seem to help. The buckle was not flipped, though. Luckily, I think I'm done with seats on planes anyway. My youngest is 4, and the next time we fly, we'll use the RSTV. Thanks for the tip, though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC