Searching again.... back-up seat for a 3 year old

midwestmeg

Wow, my little boy (and his cousin, a few months older) are going to reach the weight limits on my back up seats! :eek: They are growing so differently than my little girl did!

I have always had to worry about height limits way before weight limits, lol. So I have a Graco Car-go and a Safety 1st Uptown- but both of them have a 40 lb limit and the boys are at 38'' and 38 lbs! Yikes!

They have room on the Car-go straps, but are a little closer on the Uptown straps, of course they are using the top straps. ;)

K what can I get that isn't a complete piece of junk and isn't totally $$$$?!!! Help! I assume some of the convertibles now go to a higher weight limit. Little cousin is *NOT* trustworthy enough to use a belt-positioning booster at all, my guy could do it for a short ride. Any seats that are like the Car-go- FF with a 5 pt harness and then belt positioning booster?!

I use the Nauti in my car; is there anything similar for a little less money? I like the Uptown for a back up seat- I'd love something just like that with one more slot for height and a better weight limit.

Ideas?! TIA! :love:

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
What about the Maestro? Harnesses to 50# and has 18" top slots. Turns into a booster as well. It runs $80 iirc.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your little guy is just over three years old? I wouldn't put him in a booster for a short ride unless it's an emergency. Even if he could handle it maturity wise, his skeleton can't. How old is cousin?

I agree with the Maestro. You could also look into an Apex 65 as long as you have room if you're doing three across, and you have head support to the level of the child's ears.

Wendy

midwestmeg

Your little guy is just over three years old? I wouldn't put him in a booster for a short ride unless it's an emergency. Even if he could handle it maturity wise, his skeleton can't. How old is cousin?

I agree with the Maestro. You could also look into an Apex 65 as long as you have room if you're doing three across, and you have head support to the level of the child's ears.

Wendy

Okay. I don't booster him now, or plan on it in my regular rig, but goodness- what does the average mom do when the kiddo goes beyond 40 lbs?! I'm assuming it's onto the belt positioning part of the carseat. ;)

Carl is 3.5, Cousin is 4 in June.

I have heard the Maestro mentioned before- are the top slots any higher than the Uptown or Cargo?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Uptown has about 16" top slots, the Cargo is about 17", and the Maestro is 18".

Wendy

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My STBAS has WAY more room in his Maestro compared to his old Cargo. His old Cargo had the Graco Pedisomethingorother foam...which took away a fair amount of harness room.

The Maestro is my current favorite 'back up' seat. We love ours!

midwestmeg

The Uptown has about 16" top slots, the Cargo is about 17", and the Maestro is 18".

Wendy

Thank you!! :) Now I need to look for a deal. :cool:

And, is there any viable option for passing on a one year old Cargo?! Used occasionally, 'cause I never did like to install that thing. :p

My STBAS has WAY more room in his Maestro compared to his old Cargo. His old Cargo had the Graco Pedisomethingorother foam...which took away a fair amount of harness room.

The Maestro is my current favorite 'back up' seat. We love ours!

Haha on the pediosomethingoranother! :D Thanks for the rec. ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sell it on Craigslist. With the Maestro only being about $75 you should be able to get about half of that covered, I would imagine.

Wendy

armywife12

I, too, suggest the Maestro. My 31 month old had this seat in my MILs vehicle and he is 37lbs and 39 inches. He has tons of growing room left! It is my favorite low budget HWH seat.

midwestmeg

Sell it on Craigslist. With the Maestro only being about $75 you should be able to get about half of that covered, I would imagine.

Wendy

Okay, I think I'll try Craigslist- I was thinking about that last night in bed. ;) And I was also thinking.... I can't believe it's still LEGAL to sell used carseats on craigslist/ebay, it seems so strange to me! :confused: Of course, mine are in perfect shape, not hardly used, no accidents, blah blah blah, but still, that's a lot of trust for the person buying the seat!

pharmdmom

Okay, I think I'll try Craigslist- I was thinking about that last night in bed. ;) And I was also thinking.... I can't believe it's still LEGAL to sell used carseats on craigslist/ebay, it seems so strange to me! :confused: Of course, mine are in perfect shape, not hardly used, no accidents, blah blah blah, but still, that's a lot of trust for the person buying the seat!

I have a few seats to sell myself I too debate the Cragslist idea. I don't know how else to sell them and I don't think I personally would buy a carseat off CL. I feel the same way you do!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If you have a Shopko near you, they have the Maestro for only $69.99 this week (through tomorrow). I think you can get one at shopko.com also.
<swap content snipped by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Per the forum's Swap guidelines at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38149 some post content was edited by a moderator. Please feel free to contact each other via PM (private message) or post a thread in the dedicated Swap forum to buy/sell/trade if you wish to solicit a deal. Access criteria for posting new threads in Swap are included in the above Swap guidelines link. Thanks. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC