$150.00 Anchor in a 93 Geo Metro

SAHMof2

Hi all. My sil is headed south for Easter in her new/old car. It doesn't have an anchor so she went to GM this a.m. to get one put in. They wanted to charge her 150.00 to do it. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I "thought" they had to do it for free if the car didn't have one at all.

Thanks all.

ADS

SAHMof2

Oh and she is currently getting advice to install it herself or someone she knows who is handy. My insides are not liking that. Can you tell me if this is as huge of a no no as I think it is?

TIA

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i don't have teh newest LATCH manual, so i am not sure if chevy has a free program or not. Oh wait...you are in Canada? The rules are different there anyway. someone with canadian knowledge should pop in soon, hopefully.
As to doing it yourself, that is actually completely acceptable. It's just screwing a nut in with a bolt. It's a "yes, yes" , lol.

LittlePeanut

You mean a top tether anchor right? It's hit and miss with dealers as to whether they will do it for free or minimal cost but $150 is INSANELY high. Yeah you can do it yourelf too but you need the correct part. One of the other techs on here will have the part number in the LATCH manual.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

The first line of the most current Technical Service Bulletin on retrofitting found in the 2009 LATCH manual says GM of Canada is not authorized to use it. :(

As far as having a friend install it, that's okay. It should be a DIY job.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd love to see the breakdown on the parts and labour on that $150. It's a $10-$15 part and takes .25 labour hours.. so that's about $35-$40 IF they charge. Call another dealership.

-Nicole.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But even if it takes 15 minutes, some dealerships have a 1 hr. labor minimum, or sometimes even 1 1/2 hours. So that may jack up the price.

It shouldn't be hard, I'd order the part and screw it in myself or have a handy friend who already has a torque wrench do it. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Installing a tether in a Geo Metro is really, quite literally, screwing in a bolt. The nut is already welded to the frame of the car (underside of the package shelf n the sedan, under the car in the hatchback) You'll need a torque wrench and a tube of silicone sealant. Use something sharp like an ice pick or an awl to poke through the carpet where the nut is, then cut away the carpet to give access to the hole. Use silicone sealant around hole before inserting the bolt to keep exhaust fumes from entering the passenger compartment. Tighten the nut to 16ft/lbs. t takes about 10 mins to do both TAs.

My tether manual is in DH's car at the moment, so I can't give you the part number. GM uses the same one for all vehicles though. I'll try to remember to update with the # tomorrow.

QuassEE

Any Canadian dealership I've dealt with has had .25 minimums. US dealerships I've dealt with have had .25 or .5 minimums. I can't imagine 1.0 here in Canada.

-Nicole.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Installing a tether in a Geo Metro is really, quite literally, screwing in a bolt. The nut is already welded to the frame of the car (underside of the package shelf n the sedan, under the car in the hatchback) You'll need a torque wrench and a tube of silicone sealant. Use something sharp like an ice pick or an awl to poke through the carpet where the nut is, then cut away the carpet to give access to the hole. Use silicone sealant around hole before inserting the bolt to keep exhaust fumes from entering the passenger compartment. Tighten the nut to 16ft/lbs. t takes about 10 mins to do both TAs.

My tether manual is in DH's car at the moment, so I can't give you the part number. GM uses the same one for all vehicles though. I'll try to remember to update with the # tomorrow.

GM doesn't provide part numbers for the LATCH manual as they change over time and the GM dealerships are supposed to have the current tether anchor part number info. for each GM vehicle model. I also get the distinct impression from the LATCH manual that the part number varies depending on the specific GM model rather than a universal GM part, or else it would be much simpler for GM to actually provide a part number for the LATCH manual if it truly was the same part across the board. :) :twocents:

QuassEE

Ford dealers in Vancouver still install one for free, parts included.

That's why it's best to call around a bit. :)

-Nicole.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Any Canadian dealership I've dealt with has had .25 minimums. US dealerships I've dealt with have had .25 or .5 minimums. I can't imagine 1.0 here in Canada.

-Nicole.

Okay. Most of the dealerships around here are 0.5 but some are 1, and I know one nearby is 1.5. But I can accept that is not the norm.

QuassEE

Ouch, I can't even imagine paying a 1.5 minimum on an oil change, for example!! It's typically around $50 for an oil change here, with .25 labour ++ parts!! I have three friends who work at three different dealerships and recently asked two what the minimums were now that a few dealerships are charging for TAs. One was .25 and the other .5, then add to that my own experience over the last 18 years of driving and never have I seen 1.0 here. Even at 1.0 + parts we still wouldn't have $150.

-Nicole.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ouch, I can't even imagine paying a 1.5 minimum on an oil change, for example!! It's typically around $50 for an oil change here, with .25 labour ++ parts!! I have three friends who work at three different dealerships and recently asked two what the minimums were now that a few dealerships are charging for TAs. One was .25 and the other .5, then add to that my own experience over the last 18 years of driving and never have I seen 1.0 here. Even at 1.0 + parts we still wouldn't have $150.

-Nicole.

What, they don't charge $85/hr for labor there? (Same places...)

To be fair, things like an oil change are typically exempt from the minimum time charge here (they have a set fee schedule for things like that instead.)

We broke a cupholder on our Corolla, and they wanted $80 for the part and another $85 for the minimum 1 hr. labor charge. Plus tax.

It took my husband 2 minutes to put it in himself, unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new with a screwdriver (though we still had to pay the $80 for the part. Ouch.)

SAHMof2

Thank you all very much. Glad to hear it can be done DIY. I do hope she calls around until she gets a more satisfactory response.

I've forwarded this thread to her for her information.

Thanks all again.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
GM doesn't provide part numbers for the LATCH manual as they change over time and the GM dealerships are supposed to have the current tether anchor part number info. for each GM vehicle model. I also get the distinct impression from the LATCH manual that the part number varies depending on the specific GM model rather than a universal GM part, or else it would be much simpler for GM to actually provide a part number for the LATCH manual if it truly was the same part across the board. :) :twocents:

I finally remembered to snag my LATCH manual from DHs car.

The Geo brand was make by Toyota for GM, and the pre-welded nut is the exact same one used in all Toyotas. Toyota uses the same part across the board. (here in the US the cost is a $5 donation to SafetyBeltSafe)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC