Is she really to tall for a My Ride?

jessi f

I recently bought my DD a TF and like most things about it, but I'm sort of torn on a few issues. First off it's a pain to adjust the harness, from reading on here I new it would be and I can make it work but it would be awesome if it would just tighten up without so much effort. And I dont really like how the straps come from so far behind the seat. It's harder to tell where they fall on her shoulders and makes them seem slippy. And of course I hate the 35 lb RF limit.

I got the TF bc she is so tall that the MR was not really recommended. But the problem is she's also a chubster (at least she is now) Her height has been off the charts since birth and her weight is around the 90th percentile. She weighs 20 lbs at 7 months and if she stays on her curve will be 35 lbs by the time she is 2 1/2. I'm pretty sure she will drop in her weight a bit now that she is mobile but I dont want to have her hovering around 35 lbs and with me having to weigh her every day. At least if she were outgrowing a seat by height I could just tell by looking, KWIM?

I got to try her in a MR installed in my car and I really liked it. The harness is more what I'm used to and it seemed comfy. Her head is pretty much even with the top slots maybe a smidge above. Is that pretty high up for a 7 month old or is it about average? Even though she is a tall girl her head is a little on the small side (in a cute way ;) ) so I was thinking that might help. My 3 1/2 year old 38 lb DS could still RFin it. But he has a short torso.

I know she will probably outgrow either of these seats before I want to FF her. If we got a CA instead it would probably last longer but I jut dont like it. If she outgrows her seat before she is old enough to turn and nothing better has come out I would get one but I dont want to settle for one now.

Ok this is getting really long... I guess my main ? is about her fit in the MR now. Is it that far above average for her to be on the second slots up and the top of her head a smidge above the top slots? I'll try to get some pics to add later. And would you rather be obsessing over weight which you cant see or height which is easier to check?

ADS

NannyMom

Personally, I'd rather be watching height than weight- because it's easier to see. My now 7 year old charge was 20 pounds at 6 months (or it may have been 4 months?), and was 40 on his 4th bday.

My 15 month old is just even with the 3rd slots on the MR, and about even with the 2nd on the TF I think. I can look for pics later and see, but we first got a MR when she was 5 months.

I once put a 42 pound 3 year old RF in the MR (just for pics). She was even with the top slots, and had just 1 inch above her head.

All that to say I think your DD would get alot of use out of the MR.

ETA: I was a bit off with my memory of the 3 year old. She looked to be even with the 2nd from top slots, and had maybe 2 inches? I'll have to try Sofi in it again, as I think she's about even with those slots.

Last edited:

Shaunam

I think that's fairly average. I just looked at pics of my DD in her MR and there's like 8" between the top slots and the top of the shell. That's loads of growing room.

You already have a true fit correct? Are you looking at the MR to replace the TF or as a second seat? If you are going for a second seat, I'd definitely go for a MR simply because then you have all your bases covered. If she ends up chubby, use the MR as your primary seat. If she ends up tall, use the TF as your primary.

My son was huge (above the second slots on a marathon at 8 months) and he wouldn't have outgrown the MR by height until 3 1/2 or close to 4, right when he hit 40 lbs as well.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
She's only on the 2nd slot of the MR and she's 7 months old? Even if she outgrows it by height sooner than an average kid, she still has tons of time in it.

You already said you like it better than the TF and that if she outgrows it before you want to FF her, you'll get either a Complete Air or something new on the market, so GO BUY THAT MR! :) Seriously, if you like it, get it an use it. My 3.5 year old still has 2" torso growing room in her MR, she's average height. So, even if she's super tall, you're likely to get another 2 years out of it minimum.

And I agree, it's a GREAT RF seat. When I first started using it I missed my TF. After 4 months of using it, I used the TF RF again for about a week and the first day I loved it, and by the end of the week I wanted the MR back! Installed the MR again and am really happy. The harness is SO easy to loosen/tighten! And kids are so comfy and contained.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC