Small Babies in Seats

Brendan's Mom

A friend who works in a NICU was talking to me about a problem they are having. As they discharge a patient they make sure they are in a properly weighted seats. Many parents have to go buy a new seat to accomodate their 4 lb baby. Kids less than 4 pounds are required to go in a carbed. Do we have any info or evidence on how 3 or 4lb kids do in a carseat? Do we know how the manufactures come up with the lower end weight limits? Are carbeds crash tested? I have never seen one.

ADS

Pixels

Carbeds are crash tested, but they are not held to the exact same standards as a normal carseat. Some of the exemptions from testing are because it just wouldn't make sense with a carbed (for example, no downward rotation component). I haven't looked carefully at FMVSS 213 to see if there are other exemptions that may lead me to believe that a carbed may be less safe than a carseat for a child who will fit either. I do know that the incline of a carseat is safer than a car bed in a crash, since the shell takes the force and the harness is just holding baby in the shell, whereas in a car bed the harness is doing a lot more work. But for a baby who needs the lay-flat of a carbed due to airway issues, of course a car bed is safer.

I don't know how manufacturers come up with their bottom weight limit. I haven't seen anything in FMVSS 213 that says that a seat rated below 5 pounds is tested differently than one rated from 5 pounds. I haven't looked carefully for that detail, but I haven't seen it during general reading.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
FYI, tell your friend that 2010 Coccoros are rated from 3 pounds. They're convertibles, not infant seats. Keyfits and the Onboards are from four pounds. There may be others, but we know those two infant seats fit tiny babies well.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Britax Chaperone starts at 4# and the low birthweight foam that comes w/ them is great.

The Combi seats start at birth, there is no lower limit assuming the straps get tight enough on baby and things fit, even if the straps are above the shoulers.

cookie123

Is it the Combi that has the problem with the lap straps being too far out on the legs?

Also wanted to mention the On Board, some of which have the 4 lbs limit.

Not that any of that addresses op's question. Sorry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC