Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Small Babies in Seats

A friend who works in a NICU was talking to me about a problem they are having. As they discharge a patient they make sure they are in a properly weighted seats. Many parents have to go buy a new seat to accomodate their 4 lb baby. Kids less than 4 pounds are required to go in a carbed. Do we have any info or evidence on how 3 or 4lb kids do in a carseat? Do we know how the manufactures come up with the lower end weight limits? Are carbeds crash tested? I have never seen one.

Tasha, mom to Brendan, Colin and Brynn
    Brendan, 1/04, 68lbs monterey
    Colin, 8/07, 42lbs regent or radian
    Brynn, 11/08, 32lbs rearfacing in marathon

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Small Babies in Seats

Carbeds are crash tested, but they are not held to the exact same standards as a normal carseat. Some of the exemptions from testing are because it just wouldn't make sense with a carbed (for example, no downward rotation component). I haven't looked carefully at FMVSS 213 to see if there are other exemptions that may lead me to believe that a carbed may be less safe than a carseat for a child who will fit either. I do know that the incline of a carseat is safer than a car bed in a crash, since the shell takes the force and the harness is just holding baby in the shell, whereas in a car bed the harness is doing a lot more work. But for a baby who needs the lay-flat of a carbed due to airway issues, of course a car bed is safer.

I don't know how manufacturers come up with their bottom weight limit. I haven't seen anything in FMVSS 213 that says that a seat rated below 5 pounds is tested differently than one rated from 5 pounds. I haven't looked carefully for that detail, but I haven't seen it during general reading.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

FYI, tell your friend that 2010 Coccoros are rated from 3 pounds. They're convertibles, not infant seats. Keyfits and the Onboards are from four pounds. There may be others, but we know those two infant seats fit tiny babies well.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

Thanks Wendy! I will pass that along.

Tasha, mom to Brendan, Colin and Brynn
    Brendan, 1/04, 68lbs monterey
    Colin, 8/07, 42lbs regent or radian
    Brynn, 11/08, 32lbs rearfacing in marathon

CPS Technician

The Britax Chaperone starts at 4# and the low birthweight foam that comes w/ them is great.

The Combi seats start at birth, there is no lower limit assuming the straps get tight enough on baby and things fit, even if the straps are above the shoulers.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Is it the Combi that has the problem with the lap straps being too far out on the legs?

Also wanted to mention the On Board, some of which have the 4 lbs limit.

Not that any of that addresses op's question. Sorry.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG