Any more info re: mini vs F150?

rodentranger

My DH wants more info. He's skeptical of the Mini/F150 picture. He's a conspiracy theorist and is convinced it's 'shopped or the gov't fudged it. To sell more little cars.:rolleyes: Halp. :whistle:

ADS

Pixels

Will he think that an entire video is shopped? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b2_1186865238

More info on the F150 testing http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2003&make=Ford&model=F-150&trimid=-1

The testing was done by the Insurance Institue for Highway Safety, which is not a government group. It's basically all the insurance companies getting together to try to make the roads safer, which in turn will increase their profits. Totally self-serving in motive, and that's totally fine by me since it makes me safer.

The pictures do not show how those two vehicles would fare if they crashed into each other. The theory behind the deformable barrier testing is that it is a representation of how each vehicle would do if it crashed into an identical vehicle (ie Mini vs Mini or F150 vs F150).

APT

From what I remember, the Supercrew version of that generation fared better. Only the offset crash was poor for that Supercab, other types of tests were good. 2004+ crash test results are all good.

And just for clarification, the IIHS test is vehicle vs. a wall fixed (concrete maybe?), not another vehicle of any size.

Yes, it's a fixed wall.

The side by side picture floating around is just the two pictures from the IIHS website put next to each other for easy comparison. It doesn't necessarily mean the Mini would fare better if it hit a F-150, as a PP mentioned. The intent was just to show that big vehicles don't necessarily mean stronger passenger cages and small cars don't necessarily mean weaker passenger cages. Basically, going against the assumption that cuz a car has more steel, the passengers will be protected more. It really highlights the fact that design can play just as important a role as the physical amount of support material.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC