Which one do I take??

ChristyH

Ok, so we are leaving Friday for a 10 hour trip to visit my dad and it will be just me and the kids since my husband is out of town on business.
All of the older kids travel well since they all get to watch movies and have snacks so it's not bad but the baby is now old enough were she doesn't sleep the whole way and gets extremely restless sitting there for hours on end. I have made the parental decision to use one of our portable DVD players and install it backwards on her seat so she can watch too. For me it comes down to having her scream for hours on end and making everyone else miserable or find a little peace on a very long trip where I am the only adult with 4 kids and this makes it so much easier and safer for me driving.

Now that the back story is out of the way onto my questions! lol

I have 3 possible seats for Lizzie to use, right now she is riding in the MyRide and frankly until now that is the one I was going to use on the trip. I like the really deep sides and how it cradles her plus the great cup holders for snacking while we drive. Of course the DVD got me thinking that maybe since he can't be tethered I should rethink my idea.

I also have a Coccoro that she fits in also but again it can't be tethered rear facing but it sits nice and low on the seat and cradles her so well that I think even with the rebound she would be ok. She sleeps really well in the Coccoro and the MyRide.

The 3rd option is the Radian XTSL, she doesn't sleep as well in this seat because her head slumps some and with such a long trip I wanted her to be comfy. But...it tethers rear facing.

So does it make a difference at all with the tethering?

Which should I install for the trip?

Radian XTSL
Coccoro
MyRide

ADS

Raegansmom4

Tethering rear-facing is an added safety benefit, but rear-facing in itself is very, very, very safe. I'd go with the MR for all the reasons you mentioned for a longer trip! I don't feel like my dd is any less safe in her MR w/ no rear-facing tether - I moved her out of a rfing MA tethered to get the MR for the higher rfing limit. Have a good trip!

ChristyH

Well my main concern for the tether is to help keep her from eating the DVD player in the event of an accident. Would it help that much or would the deep sides of the MyRide be any protection.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd install the DVD player and see if she would even rebound into it before making a decision, just put her in the MyRide uninstalled and tip it up towards the DVD player - it might be way above her head or just not an issue at all.

If it is an issue, I'd use the XTSL because I wouldn't want my kid rebounding into a DVD player.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Any chance there is an empty spot beside her? or that you could set things up so there is? If so you could install the DVD player on the headrest of the empty seat. It's minor for her to turn her head a tad to see the player (just like outboard FF kids viewing a centre mounted DVD player) and then no worries of rebound.

Mommy2Marcus

I'd install the DVD player and see if she would even rebound into it before making a decision, just put her in the MyRide uninstalled and tip it up towards the DVD player - it might be way above her head or just not an issue at all.

If it is an issue, I'd use the XTSL because I wouldn't want my kid rebounding into a DVD player.

Any chance there is an empty spot beside her? or that you could set things up so there is? If so you could install the DVD player on the headrest of the empty seat. It's minor for her to turn her head a tad to see the player (just like outboard FF kids viewing a centre mounted DVD player) and then no worries of rebound.

I agree that either of these are great ideas. OR kind of combine them together. Install the DVD player, install the MR, put her in the seat & see if she rebounds into it, the seat stops it or she clears it. If she does rebound into it, you could try it in the seat next to her if you can make that work. If it is no problem, then you know you're golden!

Also wanted to add that Marcus rode to FL RF in his MR this last August. It is a 9 hour drive. He slept for about 8 of those hours overnight on the way down & then rode quite happily with the DVD player the last hour. He never once complained about being uncomfortable. Slept GREAT! He also rode home RF from FL for the 9 hour drive in it with no problems.

ChristyH

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with the captains chairs in the middle row, my 7yr old DD is in the passenger side 2nd row and the baby is drivers side 2nd row so there is no where to put the player that will be where she can see it except for right in front of her.
My 11yr old and 6yr old will be in the back, I thought about doing a 3 across back there but I can't get a working combination that will be comfortable for them.

I'll check the rebound on the MyRide tomorrow and see how it goes, I might check the rebound on the Coccoro too since it sits so much lower in the seat and she sleeps so well in those.

I guess if neither of those work I'll install the XTSL but maybe instead of trying to get a more upright install I'll just let it recline a little bit more for she can sleep better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC