ppc

joycemom

I just wanted to respond to all the comments on prolonged pacifire use and say thank you my daughter is not 2 yet but we have another baby on the way and have been struggling with weather or not to let he keep it. I think we will since it won't affect her teeth. Now if we can keep her from chewing on them so bad that they only last a week at best.

ADS

arly1983

We have that probelm too when he is teething but once he cut his back molars he just sucks on them now. We felt bad, too, about taking his away when the baby had one. My ped said it would n't hurt him as long as he was rid of it before five so I will let that battle go. I am more worried about potty training.

broken4u05

well also you might be fighting a loosing battle taking it away before. I know my godsons went back to baby ways with both his brother and sister were born and just when you have it stoped it might start again because of the baby. I would wait.

southpawboston

i guess we were just really lucky that neither of our girls liked pacifiers... dd1 insisted on a pinky finger...wouldn't take anything else (tried about a dozen pacifiers)...then she just weened herself off the pinky within about two months. DD2 took a pacifier for the first few weeks (didn't care for the pinky), then started spitting it out and only wanted it once or twice a day for a couple more months. then she started sucking her thumb, and gave that up as well after about four months. it was just a non-issue for either of them...

i can only hope the potty training goes as easily! ;)

scatterbunny

I had hoped my dd would take to her thumb so she wouldn't be a binky baby, but she didn't figure it out and was a preemie and needed the soothing of constant sucking, so a binky was it. She used it until almost 3. Having a hypersensitive, high-needs baby convinced me that there are worse things than prolonged pacifier use. :)

lovinwaves

See I would rather have a binky baby. My DD was a binky baby, and we unfortunately took it away when she turned 2 years old thinking that was the right thing to do :(. I really regret doing that.

Now my DS on the other hand has been sucking his 1st two fingers on his left hand backwards since he was a couple months old. His palate and front teeth are already changing, but our Dentist assures us it's ok. I wish he would have taken a binky that way we could take it away when the time comes, but he insisted on his fingers.

scatterbunny

Oh, I agree-now that I know what I know, I'd much rather have a binky baby than a thumbsucker, because the thumb is attached--always there, whenever they want it. I think it's harder for a child to "wean" themselves from a thumb. My sister is 12 and still sometimes sucks her thumb, when she's tired and thinks no one sees her. ;)

tchrgrrl

My oldest was a binkie fiend. We were going to try to wean him of it before his brother was born but he wasn't even 2 yet and we decided to wait. We limited it to bed and car use only but he would still sneak it. We though for sure we would never rid him of it - sometime over the summer (about 3.5) he was just DONE with it. All on his own, no issue.

broken4u05

i know someone that is 18 and still sucks her thumb. One of the kids i watch sucks his thumb and i liked it when he was smaller. but now he does it all the time. He is not very old so it is not a problem now but i dont want it to be. My almost 5 year old godson still sucks his thumb. I was a binky baby

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC