Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Frontier Owners~ Input Requested !

I have a decision between Nautilus and Frontier85. The only thing I am hung up on is the fabric of frontiers. The mesh seems that it will tear, pill, basically fall apart quickly. Is this true ? Or does it hold up well. I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!
    What is your experience ?

Thanks!
    Gina, mommy to Bella Rae 10/25/07 ~ 30 lbs, 36 inches
    Riding in a Flora Radian XTSL
    and a Pink Sky Frontier 85

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Frontier Owners~ Input Requested !

The original does pill up a lot. Britax sent me a new cover when I showed them the pics of my seat after three months. I haven't put the new cover on yet. Figured I'd save it until later.

I just received my new Frontier 85 about 10 minutes ago. They have removed the mesh from the area that was problematic. I'm thinking the cover should hold up better now but I think the seat is too new to be sure.

We had a Nauti for about 2 weeks and I really didn't like it anywhere near as much as the Frontier. Of course some people prefer the Nauti. I haven't installed my new Frontier yet but I'm anxious to see how it installs. The original wasn't really a problem for us though.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

I have a Sahara cover and Canyon cover from the first generation Frontier and I absolutely love the Sahara (no mesh!)
    I would be willing to try the new 85 covers for the reasons already stated. Plus, I like the that Britax allows 80% of base on the seat vs. Nautilus requiring 100% just in case I'd need to move it to our other car.

5. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member KaysKidz's Avatar

I haven't had it long enough to say. But I've heard that the mesh is different as well. So I'm hoping it'll hold up well. My boys wear jeans nearly every day...so it's going to see some abuse. Not to mention the shoes getting in/out etc. Even though they've gotten in with wet and/or dirty shoes...the plush fabric looks perfect. It seems to repel everything they've thrown at it so far!
    Kay... Former CPST, Working Mom to SIX!
    27, 26, 20, 9, 9 and 7!
    'Grammy' to Sophia, Kyra,...and Elijah James

I had the originial Frontier and have seen the new one. They have fixed the problem area on the new one so it looks like it will wear much better

Now my Nauti on the other hand... The mesh looks *horrible*.

Sarah- mama to
    Jackson - 7 years - ProBooster
    Maiya - 5.5 years - SureRide

8. Thank You from:

I can take a pic of my old Frontier cover and the pilling. It will show where the pilling is, how bad it is, and how then I can take a pic of the new seat to show how the pilling area has been changed.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

10. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by AwwMama View Post
    I have a Sahara cover and Canyon cover from the first generation Frontier and I absolutely love the Sahara (no mesh!)
    I would be willing to try the new 85 covers for the reasons already stated. Plus, I like the that Britax allows 80% of base on the seat vs. Nautilus requiring 100% just in case I'd need to move it to our other car.
    ANother PRO for the frontier, i didnt realize that nauti has to be 100% vs 80% frontier. good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    I can take a pic of my old Frontier cover and the pilling. It will show where the pilling is, how bad it is, and how then I can take a pic of the new seat to show how the pilling area has been changed.
    THat would be great, thanks for that!
    Gina, mommy to Bella Rae 10/25/07 ~ 30 lbs, 36 inches
    Riding in a Flora Radian XTSL
    and a Pink Sky Frontier 85

Quote Originally Posted by ceruti82 View Post
    I have a decision between Nautilus and Frontier85. The only thing I am hung up on is the fabric of frontiers. The mesh seems that it will tear, pill, basically fall apart quickly. Is this true ? Or does it hold up well. I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!
    What is your experience ?

Thanks!
    I never had any issues with it falling apart in any way in daily use. In fact, it held up quite well as you can see in my pics in the review ( http://carseatblog.com/?p=5751 ). I did have some pilling on the lower mesh, but nothing to cause any rips or tears or anything. Just loose threads here and there.

I'm not a big fan of the mesh, but the new covers are somewhat improved for the high wear areas. Even the old covers seemed quite durable overall if you didn't mind the pilling.

Quote Originally Posted by ceruti82 View Post
    I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!
    Both my boys have been using the frontier since last april. They wear jeans everyday and its the velcro shoes that cause the piling. Their jeans cause no problems at all. The piling was exactly where their shoes were.

CPS Technician

For me there's no competition anymore between the GN and FR85. W/ 20" top slots and a 24" booster, it's just so much better now than the GN if you can afford the price difference.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

My Frontier still looks brand new, well minus the crumbs

My DD gets too hot in the GN, but doesn't seem to get as hot in her Frontier.
    Kelsey, mom to...
    Kaede 9-29-06 Ridding in: Marathon, Frontier 80, and Nautilus
    Raiden (my tube fed, fundo, refuxer, with SVT) 2-6-10 ridding in a TFP

For a primary seat I also like the Frontier over the GN. I have a GN now that I use as a back up seat for dh's truck and its quick and easy to install BUT everytime one of my kids falls asleep in it...head slump
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless