Frontier Owners~ Input Requested !

ceruti82

I have a decision between Nautilus and Frontier85. The only thing I am hung up on is the fabric of frontiers. The mesh seems that it will tear, pill, basically fall apart quickly. Is this true ? Or does it hold up well. I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!
What is your experience ?

Thanks!

ADS

tl01

The original does pill up a lot. Britax sent me a new cover when I showed them the pics of my seat after three months. I haven't put the new cover on yet. Figured I'd save it until later.

I just received my new Frontier 85 about 10 minutes ago. They have removed the mesh from the area that was problematic. I'm thinking the cover should hold up better now but I think the seat is too new to be sure.

We had a Nauti for about 2 weeks and I really didn't like it anywhere near as much as the Frontier. Of course some people prefer the Nauti. I haven't installed my new Frontier yet but I'm anxious to see how it installs. The original wasn't really a problem for us though.

AwwMama

I have a Sahara cover and Canyon cover from the first generation Frontier and I absolutely love the Sahara (no mesh!)
I would be willing to try the new 85 covers for the reasons already stated. Plus, I like the that Britax allows 80% of base on the seat vs. Nautilus requiring 100% just in case I'd need to move it to our other car.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I haven't had it long enough to say. But I've heard that the mesh is different as well. So I'm hoping it'll hold up well. My boys wear jeans nearly every day...so it's going to see some abuse. Not to mention the shoes getting in/out etc. Even though they've gotten in with wet and/or dirty shoes...the plush fabric looks perfect. It seems to repel everything they've thrown at it so far!

xxluckychicxx

I had the originial Frontier and have seen the new one. They have fixed the problem area on the new one so it looks like it will wear much better :thumbsup:

Now my Nauti on the other hand... The mesh looks *horrible*.

tl01

I can take a pic of my old Frontier cover and the pilling. It will show where the pilling is, how bad it is, and how then I can take a pic of the new seat to show how the pilling area has been changed.

ceruti82

I have a Sahara cover and Canyon cover from the first generation Frontier and I absolutely love the Sahara (no mesh!)
I would be willing to try the new 85 covers for the reasons already stated. Plus, I like the that Britax allows 80% of base on the seat vs. Nautilus requiring 100% just in case I'd need to move it to our other car.

ANother PRO for the frontier, i didnt realize that nauti has to be 100% vs 80% frontier. good to know!

I can take a pic of my old Frontier cover and the pilling. It will show where the pilling is, how bad it is, and how then I can take a pic of the new seat to show how the pilling area has been changed.

THat would be great, thanks for that!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have a decision between Nautilus and Frontier85. The only thing I am hung up on is the fabric of frontiers. The mesh seems that it will tear, pill, basically fall apart quickly. Is this true ? Or does it hold up well. I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!
What is your experience ?

Thanks!

I never had any issues with it falling apart in any way in daily use. In fact, it held up quite well as you can see in my pics in the review ( http://carseatblog.com/?p=5751 ). I did have some pilling on the lower mesh, but nothing to cause any rips or tears or anything. Just loose threads here and there.

I'm not a big fan of the mesh, but the new covers are somewhat improved for the high wear areas. Even the old covers seemed quite durable overall if you didn't mind the pilling.

rochelle

I'm just thinking, jeans on the seat will tear it up!

Both my boys have been using the frontier since last april. They wear jeans everyday and its the velcro shoes that cause the piling. Their jeans cause no problems at all. The piling was exactly where their shoes were.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
For me there's no competition anymore between the GN and FR85. W/ 20" top slots and a 24" booster, it's just so much better now than the GN if you can afford the price difference.

Kaede's_Mom

My Frontier still looks brand new, well minus the crumbs:whistle:

My DD gets too hot in the GN, but doesn't seem to get as hot in her Frontier.

firemomof3

For a primary seat I also like the Frontier over the GN. I have a GN now that I use as a back up seat for dh's truck and its quick and easy to install BUT everytime one of my kids falls asleep in it...head slump :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC