Frontier 85 Installation Difficulties/ was Re: Win a Britax Frontier 85! Read Our Review! Sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

jannk

What am I doing wrong???
We got this seat a month ago and found it difficult to install. Even my husband could not tighten it enough so that it wont shift. But worse, the every day in-ad-out w/ the belts are such a challenge.
To add to it, the cup holders stink!!! They don't hold even a kids' size water bottle. My son did get a small one in there but it got stuck. When I gave it a slight tug the whole component came out. I must say, their customer service was great and they sent us a new one yesterday. But again, last night, we had a very hard time installing it and it still shifts -even after I sat in it and my husband pulled and tugged with all his might.
I would never, ever buy this seat again.

ADS

jannk

PS
This is for a 2008 Lexus RX450 Hybrid. It is the newer Frontier 85. I so want to like this but the issue of it not securing (the seat doesn't rock around while driving but I can shake it quite a bit). The buckles almost always fall underneath my son when he sits and are hard to get out from underneath him. The other part of the buckles is that the rubber covers on the straps slip around a lot.

We have in w/ both the latch and the belt. We also used the anchor in the back.

Laurette

you can not use BOTH LATCH and the seatbelt. You need to choose one. If you are having trouble getting a tight install you should try the long belt path. THere will be instructions in the manual for that form of instalation.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Britax has videos up on youtube to assist with installing the Frontier 85 in conjunction with the manual, so maybe they could help.

Here's the installation video for LATCH installs:
http://www.youtube.com/BritaxUSACarSeats#p/u/13/2ymuwfZmRp0

Here's the installation video for the short belt path seatbelt install:
http://www.youtube.com/BritaxUSACarSeats#p/u/12/VnKqXuFzBzQ

Here's the installation video for the long belt path seatbelt install:
http://www.youtube.com/BritaxUSACarSeats#p/u/11/AbZiOj4-LmA

I don't know off the top of my head what the LATCH limits are for Lexus models, but I think maybe they defer to the carseat manufacturer? One of the techs should be able to provide you with the correct LATCH limit info. If Lexus does defer to the carseat manufacturer and your son weighs more than 40 pounds, you'll want to use a seatbelt install, because the Frontier has a 40 pound LATCH limit unless the vehicle specifies otherwise.

Also, are there other carseats that you're working with in the car or are you able to try the Frontier in different positions (like center versus outboard)?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC