Need a new stroller - need suggestions!

amy919

I am looking for a lightweight (but not your typical cheap umbrella stroller) for my 14 month old. I currently have a Metrolite, which is OK, but I am looking for something smaller and lighter for shore trips this summer. We spend a lot of time on the boardwalk and the kids are mostly in a wagon, but I want something for just the baby when we hit the boardwalk for the amusements. It gets very crowded and it's tough to navigate a wagon and with the older kids constantly in and out, I want the baby confined.

I don't need all the bells and whistles, but would like something with a sun shade and a basket. Any suggestions? My budget is around $100.

Thanks, Amy

ADS

southpawboston

we replaced our metrolite for the same reasons you stated...

for $100 you can get a maclaren volo, which is very lightweight and compact, but lacks some features (reclining seat, for example). the newer volos come with a sunshade and basket. we recently replaced our metrolite with the britax esprit (discontinued 2005 model) for $50 from albeebaby.com. at 12 lbs, it's 7 lbs lighter than the metrolite, and has a larger basket than the maclaren (still not large like the metrolite's... can't put a diaper bag in there). it doesn't glide quite like a maclaren, and the collapse mechanism is a little but mroe cumbersome, but for $50 it is a great stroller! we can't even imagine how we survived this long with our bulky metrolite! (we're urban folk and have to carry the stroller up flights, into and out of cars, etc).

lovinwaves

I would recommend a Maclaren. There are different models to choose from which range in price and features. I have the Quest Model which I believe is $200 new, but I found mine used on my local Craigslist for $65 :eek: . Their cheapest model is the Volo, and there have been many posts on this stroller. You may try doing a search on the Forum for the Volo.

All of their umbrella like models go to a very high weight. I think it is 55lbs.? My Quest does Recline, and have a basket, but the umbrella part I think could use some improvement. Mine is very lightweight and folds/opens like a cinch. It also has a handy carry handle which I find very convenient.

I have some photos of mine, if you would like to see them. Just let me know. Good luck stroller shopping!! There maybe other strollers out there that would be great also, but I only have experience with the Maclaren's. Hope this helps you!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's spendy (I used some coupons to get it for 187 shipped), but the new Peg Perego Aria OH is light, has a big basket, and has a ratcheting sunshade that goes all the way down to the snack tray. The 2006 models are on sale, but they aren't worth it, so don't even consider them.

But otherwise, I second the Volo/Triumph/Quest vote, Macs are fabulous (and older models are just as good, and a bargain, to boot!)

Hazelnut

I second (or third) the maclaren volo. It was just under $100, is light and has a nice basket for the basics. I havent' used a lot of umbrella strollers, but I've been very happy with this.

LuvBug

We love our mac! I have to suggest it, hands down. Check you local TJ Maxx, Ross, costco, ect... to see if they have any of last years models for cheap. There was a triumph at my TJ Maxx for $70 and there were ryders(I think thats it) at costco around christmas, dont know the price but it was good.
I got a maclaren vogue, which is now called the techno classic. I got it from groups.yahoo.com/groups/strollerswap for a steal! they are also stroller experts, so you should check them out.

arly1983

We love our MacClaren Triumph. It has recline and a basket. It is so light and has a carry strap. I have put the baby in the bjorn carrier and folded up the stroller and carred up steps when we were in St Augustine FL. I also have folded it up and carried it on the trolly in Gaitlinburg TN. It is comfotable enough that it is my "mall" stroller when I only have one kid with me. The baby fits good in it as does the two year old. Probably the most compact stroller I have ever owned. Anyway, I purchase it on ebay from baby surplus for $90 with 25 shipping. It was last years model. I have ordered several things from baby surplus over ebay and it has always been excellant.

Morganthe

I have a nicely lightweight Silver Cross Mini (not micro-- the smaller version) and it works great.
But for really crowded areas like what you're talking about -- boardwalk, festivals, carnivals -- I have to admit that I still prefer just carrying my dd in her Ergo carrier. It's more comfortable for all of us. Strollers are such a pain in crowds. DH wears his large backpack so we have loads of room to put all our stuff and dd is much happier on my back without all the scary legs & bags of strangers around her face.
I also don't have to worry about finding a place to park a stroller if all of us want to go on a ride or into a crowded shop. I've also had her Ergo last through 3 strollers now and as long as I can carry her weight (which long ago, I used to pack 90lb rucksacks for miles), I can use it :D

only a humble comment :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC