Daycare/Preschool Field Trips & CA Vehicle Code

MomE

I am in California. My daughter goes to a daycare center/preschool. They do not own buses or vans. At our last parent meeting they spoke about organizing field trips. It totally freaked me out because my daughter is just over 2 years old, and I intend to rearface her until she's 4 (according to her growth this is more than possible).

So.... I'm constantly having to teach this place things, but I'm also a first time parent and I've never been in this situation. When my daughter was 9 months old we were in a car accident that should have killed me, and she was rearfacing in the back, escaping without a scratch or bruise or any injury whatsoever (that we know of yet). So I'm also quite a bit sensitive about this issue. Can someone tell me what the laws are regarding the different types of transportation (bus, van, parent car, something else I'm not thinking of) with regards to license (is there a certain type of license required to transport students in say a passenger van), driving records (what about checking these), and most importantly car seats?

One parent suggested that parents volunteer to drive, and another's response was, "But then you'd need car seats." Uh.... But why wouldn't you use a car seat?!

ADS
I'm not sure what the CA law is, but I know that for my DDs' field trips at their elementary school, the parents who drive are required to provide license # and proof of insurance (the school also says what the minimum amount of coverage needs to be) and IIRC they just parrot some of the state laws re: car seats.
One of DDs' preschools did field trips with parent drivers and the parents were instructed to leave car seats (with child's name on it) for their kids and drivers were asked to arrive early enough to install the seats (since my DD's had one set of seats in each of our cars, I just installed both sets of seats when I was driving & the teachers would inform the parents of my 2 extra passengers). This was about 5 years ago so I don't remember what sorts of paperwork we had to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC