Question Where to Go From Here?

DomsMom

I have a 25 lb. 2 year old that is currently RFing in a EFTA & an 18 lb. 6 month old that is currently in a SafeSeat.

I know I have some time before I have to do anything but I'm trying to budget money for new seats now so that when we need them we are ready. We have a '05 Malibu & a Mercury Grand Marquis. My original plan was to buy 2 Nautilus for the 2 year old when baby brother outgrew the infant carrier & put the little one in the EFTA's. When I made this plan I was PG with the little one & I was expecting him to be about the same size as the the first baby & well he's a big boy & just from looking around on here it seems there are a lot of new options that I haven't considered.

Any help & suggestions are appreciated. Thanx!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about getting something to rear-face longer-- Radian, Complete Air, possibly MyRide (won't last as long by height as the other 2 I listed) and either continuing to RF the 2 year old in the EFTAs until they're outgrown, or put the 2 year old in the higher weight RF seat for now, then when the baby outgrows the EFTAs RF switch the 2 year old forward-facing in the EFTA and the baby in the higher-weight RF seats? The 2 year old seems pretty small, EFTA would probably last to a safe booster age.

Laurette

Hi! Do I know you fron somewhere?? :)

I would also concider keeping your 2 year old rearfacing for a while longer. My personal minimum for my own kids is 3 but I'm hoping to keep my DD RFing until 4. I bought the Radian for that reason, but I probably wont need it since she is small-ish.

How much hard shell is above your 6 month olds head in the SS? Maybe that will give us an idea of how long you have before you will need to move him to a convertable.

aeormsby

Can you get away without 2 seats for each child for a while? We were in a similar situation and I ended up getting a 3rd convertible and only had 1 seat in our truck for the 6 months or so between when DS grew out of the infant seat and DD got close to the weight limit for RF (about 2 months after she turned 3). I'm a SAHM and DH didn't take the kids in the truck often, but it was good to have a seat there for when we split up with the kids.

DomsMom

I hadn't considered being able to but the 2 year old BACK into the EFTA FF after the baby outgrew it. Thanks for the sugggestion. :) I'm gonna do some researching about the seats you mentioned. I definetly want to keep them RF as long as possible.

Hi Laurette :wave We are not on the highest harness slots yet. He still seems to have plenty of room with hard shell above his head right now. We got DS1 the EFTA because he seemed so irritated by being so reclined in the SS1, well that & because we were expected the new baby.

DomsMom

I drop the boys off at day care in the morning & SO picks them up in the evening so we do need seats for both in each car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC