Couldn't believe what I saw!

I just started for a battered woman's shelter and was absolutely horrified at the carseats they are using in the vans! Two expired bucket seats, one which was missing the straps and was just being secured with a seatbelt :eek: (yes! they actually put kids in this one - or so I am told) I am donating my bucket seat to the shelter and am trying to raise enough money to get them at least one convertible and 1-2 high back boosters.

They have 3-4 low-back boosters that are in awful condition and being used by 2 and 3 year olds!!!! :eek: The van has lap belts in each center seat and then lap and none of the seats have headrests. (I did notice tether anchors behind each row) Could someone lead me in the right direction for an inexpensive convertible and also an inexpensivie booster seat? Are there any organizations that might do donations? These kids have been through enough - just want to make sure that they are as safe as they can be while being transported in our (the shelter's) vehicles (and hopefully educate the mothers at the same time).

Sorry this is long! TIA!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Good for you for working on this! Remember, the two and three year olds in the backless boosters are probably coming from nothing at all. So while it is about as far from ideal as you can get, it's better than they were.

I'd look at Evenflo Big Kids or Graco Turboboosters for high backs, Cosco Sceneras for convertibles (they fit newborns well, so you can probably skip buckets), and probably Evenflo Maestros for the tall harnesses forward facing (I believe these have a $49 program charge, call Evenflo or a distributor, not sure).

Wendy

rosey2007

How about calling some different car seat companies and see if they might be willing to donate some car seats. You might also try contacting a local WIC office and see if they know of any programs in your are where they donate car seats.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Good for you for working on this! Remember, the two and three year olds in the backless boosters are probably coming from nothing at all. So while it is about as far from ideal as you can get, it's better than they were.

I'd look at Evenflo Big Kids or Graco Turboboosters for high backs, Cosco Sceneras for convertibles (they fit newborns well, so you can probably skip buckets), and probably Evenflo Maestros for the tall harnesses forward facing (I believe these have a $49 program charge, call Evenflo or a distributor, not sure).

Wendy

Wendy, doesn't evenflo also offer titans as program seats, for around that price? I know the shell isn't quite as tall as the scenera, but it does have the 50 pound ff limit.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's possible. Not sure. Something to ask. I think the top slots are nearly the same, aren't they? With the Scenera maybe being a hair taller? Course, while not ideal, in either situation using the seat rear facing to the max and then forward facing to the max, then a Maestro would be better than what they'd likely be in if left to their families.

Wendy

Great suggestions Ladies! Thank you! I am heading to Kmart in just a few to pick up a seat for my DD for grandma's car and get one also for the shelter! Am also getting to work on the others!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Scenera's top slots are about 1.5 inches taller than the Titan's top slots.

If possible I'd get 1 Scenera, 1 Maestro, and 1 Turbobooster. You are donating an infant seat and they have backless boosters already.

jesster

I used to work at a Women's Shelter before I had kids. It's sad but most of the kids that came in weren't in car seats to begin with so anything really was a step up. That said, it is kind of sad because Shelters cannot afford to buy a bunch of great seats, especially considering the variety of and number of kids who come through the doors. Where I worked (in Arkansas) the local Sheriff's Office would donate free seats to the Shelter - you could ask your Shelter Director to look into that. Otherwise, see if any of your friends have seats they may want to donate, or look for good deals on craigslist. GL!

I used to work at a Women's Shelter before I had kids. It's sad but most of the kids that came in weren't in car seats to begin with so anything really was a step up. That said, it is kind of sad because Shelters cannot afford to buy a bunch of great seats, especially considering the variety of and number of kids who come through the doors. Where I worked (in Arkansas) the local Sheriff's Office would donate free seats to the Shelter - you could ask your Shelter Director to look into that. Otherwise, see if any of your friends have seats they may want to donate, or look for good deals on craigslist. GL!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to check into that!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC