Check booster fit please....

babygirlsmom1005

Check booster fit please....added more pics

Added more pics in post #11

OK, so Madeline is 4 1/2 years old, 36 lbs and 41 inches. Her school is going on field trips this summer taking their little bus thingy (not a real bus, but a bus type vehicle). The director there is clueless about harnessed seats but knows how to buckle booster seats. So after much discussion between DH and I, I would rather Madeline be properly sitting in a booster seat than inproperlly in a harnessed seat (she cannot do the bottom buckle in any of her seats and I am worried they will loosen the harness and not tighten it back up - making it pointless).

So, I got the turbobooster out and tried her out in it last night, a trip around the block. She actually sat very still in it (and proclaimed she didn't like it, she wanted to be in her "princess seat" - her RF'ing RNXT). So, please check the fit on it.

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

IMG_6939.jpg

IMG_6941.jpg

If the fit on this is not good - I do have a Frontier I can put into booster mode and try it out....TIA

Last edited:
ADS

Angela

It's looks okay to me, the lap belt might be a bit high though. I'm new to this though, so I'm sure others can give you better pointers.

I, personally, with her only at 36 lbs would put her in the frontier and try it out in harnessed mode. See if the director would be willing to have you show her how to tighten it and such. If that's not an option, I would still use it, just in booster mode. I think it would actually be easier to haul the frontier around than the tb. I've always felt the tb is obnoxious to haul around because the back comes off. All my personal opinion though.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It is hard for me to tell because of the way the shirt poofs, but the lap belt looks high.

I agree, though, that a properly used booster is better than an improperly used harnessed seat. Can you teach her how her harness should feel? Would she be willing/able to speak up if her harness isn't right?

babygirlsmom1005

It's looks okay to me, the lap belt might be a bit high though. I'm new to this though, so I'm sure others can give you better pointers.

I, personally, with her only at 36 lbs would put her in the frontier and try it out in harnessed mode. See if the director would be willing to have you show her how to tighten it and such. If that's not an option, I would still use it, just in booster mode. I think it would actually be easier to haul the frontier around than the tb. I've always felt the tb is obnoxious to haul around because the back comes off. All my personal opinion though.

OK - she rides harnessed in her RNXT rear facing (and her Frontier is in harness mode as a backup/seat for friends kids that ride with us). Her school director has already said she is not comfortable with harnessed seats and not going to remember (I love her, she's nice, but she's a touch flakey) to tighten things correctly and I'm also not sure if the FN would fit on the bus correctly. I really do appriciate her honesty with me on that. I would prefer her to be properly sitting in a booster than to be inproperlly strapped into a harnessed seat. 100% correct use vs who knows what....

babygirlsmom1005

It is hard for me to tell because of the way the shirt poofs, but the lap belt looks high.

I agree, though, that a properly used booster is better than an improperly used harnessed seat. Can you teach her how her harness should feel? Would she be willing/able to speak up if her harness isn't right?

Madeline would speak up and she knows how it should feel and if the kid could do it herself - we wouldn't have a problem but she lacks the muscle involved with buckling the crotch straps. What I am worried about with the preschool class and kindy class all going on these field trips, if the director would listen or not with a bunch of kids having to be belted in....

I'll get some more pictures today in a different outfit :thumbsup:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yeah, if you think that the harnessed seat will not be used properly, then booster it is. I am just a little concerned about *that* booster's fit (which surprises me, because Turbos are usually good for little littles).

Angela

I agree that correct use is the most important and since the director isn't comfortable with it, I'd say just go with a booster. I do agree that the tb might be not the correct seat for her, fit wise, though.

babygirlsmom1005

Yeah, if you think that the harnessed seat will not be used properly, then booster it is. I am just a little concerned about *that* booster's fit (which surprises me, because Turbos are usually good for little littles).

I know - I bought it to use for my friends kid - but ended up not using it and he rides in Madeline's frontier. A neighbor has had it because her booster expired and they couldn't afford another one - the got another one and gave that one back. I thought it would be a good fit, but I was questioning the lap belt also yesterday and kept telling myself that I was being too paranoid because I really don't want her in a HBB (like total denial she'll even *fit* into one).

AtTheSouthDam

I can't offer much help on boosters for little ones. My tiny one is still too short in the torso for a TB! But I have to say, I :love: your/hers taste in clothing! DD2 has that same shirt. We got orange capris to go with it :D

What about a vivo? It looks like those arm rests may pull the belt further forward so it would rest on her lap. Or, try lowering the armrests so the seat belt can't rise so high on them. I may not work but it worth a try!

Pixels

It's a bit hard to judge. Try lowering the arm rests, that may bring the lap belt down lower. I'm also not thrilled about the shoulder belt, but again, it's hard to judge. It looks like the shoulder belt is far to the side of her shoulder and it looks like the back needs to go up a click, but it also looks like she's leaning a bit toward the center of the vehicle, out of the shoulder belt.

Got the screws in?

babygirlsmom1005

It's a bit hard to judge. Try lowering the arm rests, that may bring the lap belt down lower. I'm also not thrilled about the shoulder belt, but again, it's hard to judge. It looks like the shoulder belt is far to the side of her shoulder and it looks like the back needs to go up a click, but it also looks like she's leaning a bit toward the center of the vehicle, out of the shoulder belt.

Got the screws in?

Yeap the screws are in :thumbsup: added more pictures (and yes, the darn thing leans over.....it's trying to make nice with Marshall's TFP apparently)

babyherder

Something just doesn't look right. Maybe the shoulder belt? It just seems not on her shoulder enough. Or maybe the lap belt looks a little high? I can't put my finger on it but something says no. Could you try her in another booster (such as a vivo) for comparison, whatever you decide to do?

I agree that in this situation a booster is best. Your director is being honest, which as far as I'm concerned is huge deal! Good for her for being honest even though its not the answer you wanted to hear!

firemomof3

I would move the headrest up a notch :)
She is awfully petite and she has a lot of wiggle room, I agree that the Vivo would probably be a better fit.

Last edited:

babygirlsmom1005

I don't have access to a vivo (and I think DH would divorce me if another seat showed up here :whistle:) - I will get the FN out of the 3rd row and put it in booster mode to try it out....I'll post pics when I get it done :thumbsup:

babygirlsmom1005

I don't like the fit on her. Can you not drive her to the feild trip yourself. That would be what I would do. :/

From what I understand, it's just the class and the teachers that are going. I know Marshall is a huge distraction with all the girls....and we have to fight them off of him (because he's the cute baby :p) so on the field trips - I think he may be a distraction from learning while they are out and I won't leave him anywhere while he's still nursing.

babygirlsmom1005

Remember, that this seat will be installed in a different vehicle, not op's car. THat may make all the difference in the belt fit.

True - my DH mentioned that to me as well. I will see if I can do a install on their bus and see about how it fits there. I need to do some booster training with her, I will see about getting the FN into booster mode and trying that as well in the suburban and seeing if it is a better fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC