Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

what to look for in a new vehicle

We are coming to the end of our lease and we are looking for a new vehicle. We haven't been overly happy with our chev uplander and we want somthing a little more carseat friendly. We're thinking about a crossover SUV but haven't been sold on anything yet. After reading through previous threads, i now know that i can likely fit my kids in the backseat of a car so that's another option. We're trying to plan a little in advance and we're wondering what kind of features we need to look for that we will need as our children's carseats need change (removable headrests, UAS, etc)

Our kids are currently:

DD1 9 years old, riding in a cosco booster (it's the one with the cup holders and i have no problem switching her to a different booster to make a bit more room)

DS: 4 years old, 36 lbs, riding FF in a nautilus (he will remain harnessed until 6 years minimum

DD2: 17 months old, 21 lbs, RF in a scenera. She'll be rear facing until she reaches the 35 lb limit of the seat.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: what to look for in a new vehicle

Removable headrests
    Headrests that are high enough to protect an adult adequately (top of head rest at least at the top of the ears, preferably the top of the head)
    Top tether anchors
    Lower anchors if you prefer, though a seatbelt install is usually possible so not a high priority for me.

Cargo room adequate for a family of 5, however you use the vehicle. Camping? Vacations? Beach trips? Sports equipment?

Maybe extra seating for friends
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

I like having top tethers in ALL seating positions if possible so I'm not limited by that when it comes to arranging the FF seats as needed. Something with enough front to back space between seats that I can fit something like a Radian RF if I want.

We've decided the time has come for us to get a minivan. Now it's a toss up between the Town & Country (cheaper) or Odyessy (which I love).

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

I feel your pain. We had a 08 Uplander for 10 months and traded it for a 09 Kia Sedona LX. It was not fabulous for car seat installation, plus I wanted a van with more options.

Options important to us (not in any particular order):

Latch: We have it in three positions in the Sedona, both captain chairs, one set in third row.

Tether: More anchors than the Uplander. I can't remember if there's 4 or 5 positions.

Air bags: We have dual front. Side air bags for all passengers.

Crash ratings: The Sedona was rated high.

Removable head rests.

Fold in floor seats: Third row has them.

Roll down windows in sliding doors. We wanted windows like a car.

I know you're looking for a suv or crossover type but we do LOVE our van. It doesn't drive like a van. It feels more like a car.
    Last edited by BABYGIRLLYNDSEY; 03-31-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Thanks!! We've been looking at lots of different vehicles. Another thing I don't like about the uplander is there is no cargo room. To fit our groceries in we have to fold down at least one of the back seats. I like the vans that have seats that fold into the floor. It's such a huge decision though!