Any ideas for protecting car/carseat from potty training DD.

lovinwaves

Ok, so DD is doing really well w/potty training is about to the point where I am going to let her leave the house without a pullup or diaper on.

So, my question is this: Is there any creative way to protect her carseat and my car's interior from any accidents (urine) that may happen? I don't have a spare cover either, maybe I should purchase one.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I wonder about putting a plastic bag under her or under the seat cover? Would this change or affect the way the seat works?

I guess you could just lay a diaper on the seat under her to catch everything, that would be better then the bag because the diaper will absob the accident!

I saw the piddle pads, but I figured that they were an aftermarket product so they shouldn't be used.

southpawboston

i like the diaper idea, just placed underneath.

we used to use these thin waterproof square pieces of fabric, from target. i think they are made of a really thin sheet of waterproof rubber, then covered in a thin layer of absorbant cotton. they are not at all padded, so they shouldn't interfere with harnessing (they are about 1 mm thick). they are about 1ft x 1ft in size. we used them underneath our DDs' crib sheets in case of full diaper leakage in the night. they are also machine washable.

Morganthe

LOL, I'm in the same boat, but I trust that our very short journeys (10-15 minutes at the MOST) & going potty before we leave will prevent any leaks until dd is more reliable.

My best suggestion (and one that I did when she was having diarrhea blowout diapers), is to look in the baby section of stores for something called Lap protectors or along that line. They're various sizes of thin cloth imbedded into plastic. Extremely maliable & waterproof, especially after laundering the first time, but are very thin and solid. They don't even have the thickness of a T-shirt and with no compression at all.

The ones I used were no-brand AAFES. 3 sizes were
small -5X5"- for a lap --
middle (perhaps 12X16), for an area across a crib,---
Large which was designed to go under a fitted sheet to protect an entire crib mattress.

The small was a bit too wee to protect the seat & sides, so I'd take scissors to the medium size which cost somewhere around $2.50. There was absolutely no adjustment needed for her carseat harness, but the seat never got splashed with sewer baby bottom during a 10 hour drive (with breaks of course). Sad to say that she went through 4 outfits during it though. Poor baby :(

I'll be using them again when we go on some long road trips in the next few months just in case. :)

I've heard about the 'piddle pad', but it looks too small, too bulky, and costs a lot more money than the cheap crib protectors :rolleyes:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If she were to tell you she has to pee, then you could keep a portable potty in the back of your van!

southpawboston

My best suggestion (and one that I did when she was having diarrhea blowout diapers), is to look in the baby section of stores for something called Lap protectors or along that line. They're various sizes of thin cloth imbedded into plastic. Extremely maliable & waterproof, especially after laundering the first time, but are very thin and solid. They don't even have the thickness of a T-shirt and with no compression at all.

i think you're referring to the same thing i mentioned! i didn't have a name for them!

nisi

Senior Community Member
I got a piece of rubberized flannel and cut it to size. You can buy it by the yard at fabric stores or you can get it in various sizes sold as waterproof lap pads, crib pads, etc. from almost any store that sells baby gear. I'm pretty sure southpaw and morganthe are talking about the same stuff I am. It's basically a thin sheet of rubber sandwiched between 2 layers of flannel. It's worked well for us -- contains the accidents and washes up easily. I suppose technically it's an aftermarket no-no, but I figure it's thinner than the diaper she was wearing before, so how bad can it be? Just be sure to trim it down so it isn't interfering with the harness or buckle.

lovinwaves

AWESOME!! Thanks everyone! Is there anyway she could pee enough to overflow the fabric piece? If so, what can I use to protect and catch the urine on my vehicle's seat?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
what if you're on a highway with no close exit??? pulling over to the shoulder would be an extreme hazard. :eek:

Yes, but if it has to be done it has to be done! I would stop if I HAD too. I would first off start with telling him (I have a DS) to hold it, if he couldn't then yes I would stop! I have had to do it with a puking kid on the trans Canada highway, I would do it if he had to pee. I wouldn't recommend it, but sometimes you do what you have to do! Of course you are only going to pull over if it is safe and it is ok to do so!

What would you do if you had to puke? Puke in your car or pull over? If you had to pee so bad you were going to pee your pants? Would you pee your pants or pull over?

southpawboston

that's a whole different situation... if my kid was puking or couldn't hold it, of course i would pull over! but i believe the OP was asking about in the event of "accidents"... since the potty training isn't 100% yet. my interpretation of the question was, what to have in place in case of such an accident...

Jewels

Senior Community Member
that's a whole different situation... if my kid was puking or couldn't hold it, of course i would pull over! but i believe the OP was asking about in the event of "accidents"... since the potty training isn't 100% yet. my interpretation of the question was, what to have in place in case of such an accident...

Well if lovinwaves had a potty in her vehicle and her dd told her she had to go, and they pulled over to use the potty then that wouldn't be an accident! And she wouldn't have to worry about a mess to clean up!

Jennskiddos

The piddle pad is EXTREMELY thin. It has a layer of fabric over a layer of plastic. the fabric absorbs the plastic keeps it from hitting the carseat cover. I loved mine and is super thinner than putting a diaper under them!

arly1983

The piddle pad is EXTREMELY thin. It has a layer of fabric over a layer of plastic. the fabric absorbs the plastic keeps it from hitting the carseat cover. I loved mine and is super thinner than putting a diaper under them!

Thanks, I wanted to know that before I ordered a couple.

southpawboston

Well if lovinwaves had a potty in her vehicle and her dd told her she had to go, and they pulled over to use the potty then that wouldn't be an accident! And she wouldn't have to worry about a mess to clean up!

lol, i think we're thinking of two different scenarios... i agree completely with you IF the kiddo is advanced enough to say "i need to go, SOON, or else i'm going to have an accident" (maybe in not so many words ;) ). but the way i read the question was that the accident may happen without warning... without enough time to stop at the side of the road and get out the potty... hence the need for a containment solution. :D

skipspin

Having been through this last year...

I put a thin produce bag over the foam in the bottome of my WZ. The first time it got soaked and was really yucky!

I used both the "lap pad/rubberized flannel" that everyone talks about AND a piddle pad. (Never at the same time!) The only problem with the lap pad was that sometimes pee would leak where I cut the slit for the crich buckle, so it's better to fold the fabric up on the child than to cut it, IMO. The piddle pad worked almost all the time and I had no problem using it since it wasn't as thick as a diaper. The biggest pain was having to hold them in place while DD got in her seat, since before that she would always get in herself, then I would buckle her. (She was RFing almost all the time.)

I also shoved an open pull-up under DD once or twice when I didn't have something else, and while it may not be perfect, it got most of the mess.

I only had once accident leak on a car interior, and that was in the Chase, not my WZ. Do make sure you check your MA base after an accident. There are some nice hidden places for puddles. (Yuck!)

The week I bough an extra cover for my WZ DD had no more accidents in the car seat. So, maybe that's the fastest way to get your child potty trained? LOL. Murphy's Law I guess.

Oh, and I did keep a little potty (Bjorn) in the back of the car. It was a lifesaver when we were in a bad area of town and DD had to go. I would stop, lock the doors, and let her go potty in the little potty. Also, I usually had her try again whenever I was loading groceries or putting the stroller away. It was so much better than running to the back of Wal-mart after just getting everyone in the car when she decided to say she had to go potty.

Hope that helps a little!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
lol, i think we're thinking of two different scenarios... i agree completely with you IF the kiddo is advanced enough to say "i need to go, SOON, or else i'm going to have an accident" (maybe in not so many words ;) ). but the way i read the question was that the accident may happen without warning... without enough time to stop at the side of the road and get out the potty... hence the need for a containment solution. :D

I know what you mean. What started this was when I said
If she were to tell you she has to pee, then you could keep a portable potty in the back of your van!
So there I was referring to if she were to tell you :D I agree though that if they don't tell you they have to go, there isn't much you can do except put down a diaper, a thin plastic bag, a piddle pad or whatever you decide to put down before hand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC