Radian concerns to discuss with Russ

JerseyGirl'sMama

Judi said she is going to talk to Russ at SKJP soon and wanted to come up with a list of things to ask him or questions or concerns we may have.

-I have a XTSL and the headwings slip down everyday. I am constantly raising them all the way up so they don't interfere with the infant padding. PITA. I know others have this problem, and that it isn't a 'safety issue' but it is an annoyance and one that should be addressed.

-Also on the infant padding, the headrest portion has velcro that scratches the back of baby's neck when you need to use it in higher position. I would like to see a fix to this too.

What would you like to add?

ADS

dmpmercury

I wish the radian were easier to get an more upright install in most vehicles. I would so buy another if it had that ability but can't if it doesn't. It be simple enough to put that newborns and infants need the 45 degree angle on the seat. Almost all other convertables are easier to get upright. Addition points if they made a boot you can buy for existing radians to get it more upright rear facing for older children. So many people can't use it because it tends to over recline or you can't really get much more upright than 45 degrees.

canadiangie

Uh the standard, please give us a 2nd rear facing boot for a more upright installation :whistle:

If they shortened the height of the boot (so it would allow a more upright install) most of us would have LATCH connectors in the belt path... the tail end of the LATCH strap would be completely in the belt path... a seatbelt install would be even tougher... a locking clip would be even harder than what it is now... a lap-only belt probably wouldn't stay locked at that angle... it would be a mess, I *think*.

There has to be a reason why they haven't addressed the recline boot. I think it's because they know a shorter one couldn't/wouldn't work. But I could be way off here. :eek:

I am firmly in the I-want-to-love-my-Radian camp. I would have just Radians if I could get a better install in my dh's car.. and could know that I would get a good solid semi upright install in whatever vehicle we buy next. I'm first in line for the solution to the problem here... but I don't know if there is one, TBH.

Again, I could be wrong.

christineka

Fix the recline- whatever it takes! I'd like one of those infinite harness height systems like the eta has too. Would be convenient for multiple kids.

Make a skinny (but still width adjustable with sip) booster. Something like the bodyguard would be nice.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Weren't a bunch of people having issues FF with the headwings when a child was just over one set of slots and had to have the harness at the next? I think the headwings were way too high and don't protect the child's head when they were where they were supposed to be and when they put them the notch lower they interfere with the harness?

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Stickers! They suck! Both of my radians are barely a year old and the stickers are completely off or unreadable. Really, for such a high-quality seat, I'm amazed at the crap stickers on there.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wish there was something that could be done with the boot, but I think you would have to redesign the seat. Like what was said above, the belt path would be way too low.

What about a one pc infant insert? Would that work better?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Make the Damn SL compatible with my car?

Sadly, I don't have the seat anymore, and didn't think to take pics when i had it, but Judi, you remember the issue right? Can you let Russ know that the length of the SL connectors is so long, such that in a car with latch anchors that are not buried very deep/that stick out, (and with very poofy, compressible seats) the SL connectors go all the way up TO the beltpath, which means the straps are literally making a 45 degree angle right at the corner of the beltpath, which of course, means they don't stay tightened, because they need to be parallel to stay tight, but instead, they make a right turn and therefore don't tighten. it makes the SL completely incompatible with a RFing install in my car (07 optima). This is sort of the "beltpath too low" issue you mentioned in re: a shorter boot. Well, in my car, the compressible seats allow the beltpath to get SO close to the Latch anchors, there is NO way to use them. Really.

tiggercat

It would be nice if I could tighten the darn thing without pulling for a year. tug, tug, tug, tug, tug, tug, tug. check. damnit. tug, tug, tug. curse. tug, tug, tug, tug.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I think I figured out the boot think. You don't take away, you add to the back. Make a foot that is totally different. Hmmm. I talk better in pictures.

tl01

Weren't a bunch of people having issues FF with the headwings when a child was just over one set of slots and had to have the harness at the next? I think the headwings were way too high and don't protect the child's head when they were where they were supposed to be and when they put them the notch lower they interfere with the harness?

:yeahthat:

cookie123

I've already suggested a skinny booster to them! I agree, a better harness adjuster and rear facing boot would make it almost perfect. Maybe a slightly altered belt path for a better installation? That d*@#%Q@ thing just won't stay put in my car ff.

nmb

:yeahthat: :yeahthat::thumbsup:

ITA - that's the main reason I never bought a second one.

When my DS has fallen asleep in his XT FF, his head flopped under the headwings. Can't picture that being very safe...I do have a picture if they'd like to see it. (combination of the zero recline to it FF and the wings having to be too high up)

Also....any reason they can't add another harness slot on the top? (even if only on the non-XT models) The shell is plenty tall enough...I think my DS might just outgrow this seat FF before RF....(not counting the bit about it being ok to use w/ kids taller than the top slots...). If we could get a 19-20" harness height on it....:whistle::sarcasitc-bow:

Calleiah

Absolutely Judi, some kind of support to the back of the seat that would raise IT up would help the angle issue. A rubber shoe, something to change where the butt of the seat rests. It would be brilliant. :D

cpsaddict

A smoother harness adjuster! I hate the adjuster on it. I am starting to like the XTSL more and more, but that adjuster is just plain a PITA. I do like the two-piece padding. I am using the body padding, but not the pillow part. DD is in the third slots with the wings down all the way. The body padding works great this way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC