Vent Dirty Looks in the Drive Thru

sevan76

This may be totally random but it's been bugging me! I have a two year old RFing in a My Ride. She's a tiny 2 year old at that (23 lbs). Anyways, I've noticed that pretty much anytime we go through the drive thru I get weird looks. Today, the cashier didn't even look at me once-she was too busy gawking at my kid in her car seat with a rather unfriendly look on her face. Well, I'm not even sure she could see Sydney since the seat is so deep. She may have been able to see the dreaded feet touching the seat!! I honestly think most people (where I live at least) don't know that convertibles can be RF'd. Anyone else get strange looks at McD's, etc? I'm tempted to get something to stick on my car. . .

ADS

MommyBoha

Im a manager at BK and I give dirty looks to those who dont have their kids in anything, toddlers in boosters, infants FF.. ya know the bad stuff. If I saw an ERFer.. they'd probably get free food. lol

canadiangie

Stop caring.

Really.

I have my almost 4y/o rf'ing. I'm pretty sure most of the moms at preschool think I've lost my mind. Funny though, I think the same thing about them and their 30lb'rs in backless boosters.

C'est la vie. ;)

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I get some weirdo looks occasionally too, but I really just try to ignore it.

I did have a girl at Starbucks a couple of weeks ago compliment me on my carseat though. :D "Oh, what a pretty car seat! And it even matches your jacket!" Um, yeah. I totally bought that seat just cause it matches my hoodie! :cool:

natysr

Hmm..I've never had that happen before.

Jordan has even paid for his own Happy Meal while rearfacing from the backseat window.

sevan76

Lol, it could just be that she was shocked to see a kid in a car seat. I see more babies, toddlers, and kids not in seats at all than in them. Sad. I just sort of wish that instead of gawking they would ask me why so that I could explain and maybe pass along a bit of useful info.

Canadiangie- True! I suppose I should get used to it. I can only imagine what it will be like when she starts preschool.

macmomma

That is what you get for living in the deep south:D but yes, I do get weird looks at times too. If is sense that the person seems interested I will tell them about it but most of the time I just smile at them and go on my merry way:whistle:

babyherder

I get some weirdo looks occasionally too, but I really just try to ignore it.

I did have a girl at Starbucks a couple of weeks ago compliment me on my carseat though. :D "Oh, what a pretty car seat! And it even matches your jacket!" Um, yeah. I totally bought that seat just cause it matches my hoodie! :cool:

Lol! I love it when the kid's outfit matches the seat. I think its the cutest thing ever!!!! But I would never choose a seat based on the clothes it matches.

sevan76

That is what you get for living in the deep south:D but yes, I do get weird looks at times too. If is sense that the person seems interested I will tell them about it but most of the time I just smile at them and go on my merry way:whistle:

Probably is a deep south thing! I got to thinking that in the past year that I've been checking out other people's car seats, I have yet to see a RF'd convertible. Hasn't happened.

MustangMama

o0o0o0o I hate dirty looks! I am borrowing a SS1 from a friend for B and I get so many ugly looks and people that say "Oh wow, she is too big for that seat, her legs are sticking out!"

fc28c598.gif

msg221

I have yet to have anyone say anything or give me looks about my almost two year-old god children still rear facing. Then again, maybe it is because I have tinted windows! But if someone were to say something, I'd be more than happy to tell them why.

I did a lot of research before they were born to help their mom choose car seats and then again when they were moving into convertibles. I will do all I can to keep them as safe as possible when they are in my vehicle because I'd never forgive myself if anything ever happened to them.

swtgi1982

Actually my weird look was not at a fast food place, but rather in a store parking lot in a small neighboring town. it was from the towns one and only police officer, I half expected him to say something, but after he took a hard look and seeing they were installed correctly for RF from what he could see, he just kind went on his way, you know getting two ERFing kids and a baby out of a car can take a while and he had plenty of time to look at the set up

vonfirmath

I wish someone would look at my son REar-facing! Give me an opening to talk about car seats.

"I see you notice my son. Isn't it great that seats now allow kids to remain in the safest seating position longer?"

We got through lots and lots of drive throughs, don't have tinted windows, live in the South (Texas) and I don't think anyone has even noticed.

The only time car seats come up is at the library, for storytime, when I praise another mother for having their kids still safely buckled into appropriate car seats. If they ask about my son, I go on to explain how it is safest to keep your kid rear-facing to the limits of their convertible and he hasn't reached the limit of his yet. No one in RL has seemed offended by this. (on facebook, OTOH...)

Ninetales

Weird looks, I'd probably ignore. Dirty looks or glares would get "is there a problem?" Trust me, most of those places time the drive thru transactions and they won't want to waste time listening to you and will just say no.

Or give them a car or flier, I like that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC