What do you tell someone?? Please help.

ADS

a_js

I would do my best "WTF" face.. then, it depends. How well do you know them? Would anything you said matter?

sholoulou

She does not have children. I am just leaving it be. Maybe she will change her mind once she has children. Her opinion is way back when no one had to have the govt tell them to buckle their child and that driver training for those who cause accidents would address the root of the problem.

Oh well...

sholoulou

LOL well, I posted a few simple tips on facebook about carseat safety and she started posting all the stuff about not having "mandates" for carseat usage, etc.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
LOL well, I posted a few simple tips on facebook about carseat safety and she started posting all the stuff about not having "mandates" for carseat usage, etc.

I agree...sort of. I don't think there should be mandates for helmets or seatbelts for adults. I think that we should be smart enough to keep ourselves and our kids safe, however, there are many out there who need the mandates or they would do nothing. Honestly, though, you can't legislate against stupidity.

sholoulou

:) I didn't bite. The truth came out without me having to say anything. She does not believe there should be laws for carseats and perfers to ride with her neices on her lap and it is OK for kids to get out of their carseats on long trips. Oh well, God has special angels for those kiddos.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, who had the saying? It was like, seatbelt laws don't save lives as much as they save ignorant people from themselves? Crap, that isn't right. Their's was much better.

babyherder

I agree adults should be able to make their own safety decisions in most cases. However, for seat belts, unbelted passengers of any age are a risk to other passengers. I think all passengers should be required to be buckled. I do make my adult friends buckle while I'm driving. They don't get to possibly hurt me because they don't care. I don't make them sit in their seatbelt correctly. If they want to slouch and get internal organ injuries that's their choice (They know how I feel).

a_js

I agree...sort of. I don't think there should be mandates for helmets or seatbelts for adults. I think that we should be smart enough to keep ourselves and our kids safe, however, there are many out there who need the mandates or they would do nothing. Honestly, though, you can't legislate against stupidity.

The thing is that seatbelt/helmet laws aren't just for your protection, they are for the protection of others in your car (seatbelts, anyway) and to prevent you from being injured worse than necessary in an accident (seatbelts and helmets). I don't think the government cares if you wear a seatbelt or helmet, they just don't want to pay for your airlift and trauma care if it can be avoided.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
The thing is that seatbelt/helmet laws aren't just for your protection, they are for the protection of others in your car (seatbelts, anyway) and to prevent you from being injured worse than necessary in an accident (seatbelts and helmets). I don't think the government cares if you wear a seatbelt or helmet, they just don't want to pay for your airlift and trauma care if it can be avoided.

My car my rules. I don't care if the people in other cars wear seatbelts or helmets on motorcycles. In my car you wear a seatbelt. Children who ride in boosters in other cars ride in a harness in mine. Kids who can't pass the Five Step Test ride in a booster in my car. If the person doesn't agree with my rules then he/she doesn't ride in my car.

My point is that I think people should do it out of safety. Not because it is mandated. I don't like the government interfering in such things.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't really care about adults who are too dumb to take such simple but important precautions, but it is not fair for adults to make deadly choices for their kids and for other innocent people in their cars.

It's not fair that if some idiot dies in a fender bender because they weren't wearing a seat belt, the other party can be sent up on manslaughter charges, even if there was absolutely nothing the other party could have done to avoid the crash.

It's not fair that everyone has to pick up the cost of idiots who don't wear seat belts. A fatality crash ends up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in police and EMS response, crash analysis, and road clean up. Car crash injuries cost insurance companies an arm and a leg, which we all pay for in the form of higher rates.

Until we figure out how to travel around in private, self-contained bubbles, idiocy has to be regulated for the protection of everybody.

henrietta

I don't think the government cares if you wear a seatbelt or helmet, they just don't want to pay for your airlift and trauma care if it can be avoided.

Agreed.

I also don't think that the government should be paying anyone's bills who wasn't wearing their seatbelt or helmet--if you don't pay for your own insurance, and you choose not to exercise reasonable caution and prevention, I shouldn't have to help foot the bill for your stupidity. Now, if it's a child who wasn't restrained...that isn't the *child's* fault, so I'll help w/that.

Serious money goes into saving these idiots and it is a lot of emotional trauma and sometimes danger for the rescue workers to help them.

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC