What to do on train trip?

lamazemama

We are taking a train cross country with our 4 1/2 and 2 year olds.

We will be renting a car for a week once we arrive at our destination.

What in the world do we do about carseats? I have been stressing about this.

If we bring them with us, will they get banged around and potentially damaged?

Do car rental companies rent carseats? If so, that carries another set of worries because I won't know how those seats have been treated.

Opinions?

ADS

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I'd take the carseats if at all possible. I wouldn't trust car seats from a rental car place at all!

Maybe someone else has some tips on where to safely store carseats on a train. I've taken communter trains many many times but never took a car seat on one.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree. I would not rent a seat from a rental car company (plus, for the price they'd charge for a week, you're better off just buying some seats for travel).

How much do your kids weigh? Would the 4.5 year old wear a RideSafer Travel Vest? That would be really easy to take with you. What about a SafeGuard Go?

Post back with weights and heights and we'll try to help with some "easy" travel seats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Take your carseat: kiddo will be most comfortable & you know how to install it ;) There's plenty of space on trains -- I saw a bunch of carseats (sadly, most expired) on the shelves inside with tags ... where passengers walk through to get to their seats :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Definitely take the seats. I've rented seats when Piper was an infant, and I will never do it again. She was 10 weeks old, we told them we needed a child seat, and they brought us a FFing only seat. The infant seat they brought us was baseless and probably expired. Gross gross gross.

Wendy

tiggercat

When I took the train with my daughter I brought her carseat, and was able to set it on the seat in a "rearfacing" position securely. Obviously I couldn't install it with no belts, but she was able to sleep in it, and I felt like it might provide her with a little bit of protection if we got bumped around a bit. I was also sure that it didn't get knocked around since I was the only one to touch it!

nisi

Senior Community Member
About 8 years ago (pre-kids) dh and I took Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle to San Fran then back to Chicago. On that trip, we were the only ones handling our luggage. We carried it on the train and stowed it, and we took it off the train at our destination. No worries about rough baggage handlers. It's just stacked on shelves in one of the cars, so I guess it could shift around in transit. But unless it's an emergency stop or something, I can't imagine it would be enough to do any damage. Of course, the downside to carrying all your own luggage is that you have to carry all your own luggage :p So just like plane travel, you'll want something small and light.

Things might have changed since 9/11 and the tighter security everywhere, but that was our experience.

Have fun on your trip! Dh and I loved that trip, and we want to do it again with the kids some day.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Security does not seem to be much tighter if at all -- if you check baggage then they read your stub against the label on the bag, but if you carry it all on (no restrictions like FAA) then it's all on you: no Xray, etc....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC