Transporting newborn after open heart surgery

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My newborn nephew (born on St. Patrick's Day :love:) has multiple heart defects, and will have open heart surgery when he's three months old. What do we need to know about transporting him after the surgery? I'm assuming that the chest clip would irritate the incision or cause him discomfort. My brother and SIL have a Snug Ride 35 (32?) for him - might they just use that without the chest clip? (They're good about tightening the harness correctly. :thumbsup:)

He will be at a major hospital near me - I know the SK coordinator there and I'm sure we can work with her on any accommodations that may be needed.

ADS

steph_s

How long do they plan on keeping the baby in the hospital? I have had 2 kids who have needed heart surgery. The first one was in the hospital for a month and a half which was long enough for his chest to be ok. The second one I asked for an ambulance transport because there was no way to tighten the straps enough even without a chest clip that wouldn't cause him severe pain.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
How long do they plan on keeping the baby in the hospital? I have had 2 kids who have needed heart surgery. The first one was in the hospital for a month and a half which was long enough for his chest to be ok. The second one I asked for an ambulance transport because there was no way to tighten the straps enough even without a chest clip that wouldn't cause him severe pain.

The current plan is to have him in the hospital for 5-7 days following surgery. They live 1.5 hours from the hospital where the surgery will take place.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
My nephew had 3 open heart surgerys. He has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. After each surgery, he was fine with the chest clip and the tightening of the straps (they had a sr22). His last surgery was just a year ago (right after his 3rd bday) and he was also fine, discharged to the Rhonald McDonald House after 5 days. And since the last surgery was in Las Vegas, they of course went to the beach and did some sight seeing before they left. But other than being careful when we picked him up (we had to scoop him up, and not pick him up under his arms) he was fine! He LOVES to show off his "Spongebob Holes"

BabyKaykes

My foster sister (age 24yo) has had several heart surgeries in her lifetime. She's currently in a Roosevelt, but was previously in a Husky. The biggest issue, as pp stated, is not lifting under the arms. By the time she went home, the chest clip was really a non-issue, as the bandages covering the area were enough not to be a bother.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I just talked to my sister and I just wanted to also mention that after surgery they wired Jacks sternum together, and it only took 5 days for the skin to heal, so there shouldn't be to much of a problem with the carseat!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My cousin's son had multiple open-heart surgeries, and by the time he was discharged he was ok to use the car seat normally. :thumbsup:

Evolily

Infants heal extremely fast- their cell growth is just so much more rapid than ours, he may be perfectly fine in his seat a week after surgery.

soygurl

If they would be willing/able to purchace a new car seat, I would recomend the CCO since it's avaliable in Japan without the chest clipl. It also has those long, cushy strap covers wich might be helpful?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC