Air travel

mamahen

Is it really $400 worth it to put an infant in a seat on an airplane? I know what the right answer is but I wanted to double check before I pass out and press the buy button. (it's the $100 in taxes and fees that gets me!)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
To me, absolutely, unless you have a reliable seat available to meet you at the airport on the other end. It's even more about safety of the seat than comfort or safety of the baby IMO. :twocents: (Though there is a safety and comfort benefit to baby and you as well.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
"My baby died/was injured because I didn't spend X on a seat. Would I have rathered pay that than have my baby hurt? Or hurt someone else?"

Whenever I balk at a price, I ask myself if it's worth the money knowing she's safer, and she's a lot less likely to be injured. So far I have yet to find a fare that I'm not willing to pay to ensure she has a place to safely be.

The taxes and fares get me, too. $99! Plus taxes, fares, and fees, and your new total is $1,003,208.35.

Wendy

thepote

If it helps you feel more confident in your decision, I have a friend who was recently on a flight that tried to land in a storm and the plane was tossed around violently in midair before the pilots aborted the landing and went two states over to land.

The details about the stuff flying around the cabin were quite horrific. I shudder to think what would have happened to a lap baby on that flight. Luckily there were none :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Even during routine turbulence I have seen parents almost lose hold of a lap baby. Those circumstances are rare but Wendy makes a good point-- if your baby was severely injured or died, you'd think $400 would have been well worth it, rare as those circumstances might be! Definitely better to have no regrets.

jasminegrl

i think so, on our flight from japan to seattle, we hit really unexpected turbulance, I would hate to think of what would have happened had my dd not been in her car seat

Suzanne74

Last year I was on a short flight from DC to Orlando (2hrs) and watched a family come on with a lap baby. We hit t-storms heading into Orlando and it was just a little rough but the mom was one row aisle in front of me and she really looked worried holding the baby tight.

If I couldn't afford to fly my baby (or anyone in my family safely) I wouldn't go at all.

AwwMama

I have been on both sides of this equation and I vote YES!

We took a flight with both DS when my youngest was 6 mo. as a lap b/c cost was almost $700 per person. DS was over 2 at that point. We were fortunate to have an extra seat on the plane going to our destination but not on the return.

The turbulence on the return flight was horrifying until we got to altitude. Seriously, it was like we were 4 wheel driving. :eek:

After that, we purchased a seat every time.

mamahen

thanks! I bought him a seat. And, thanks to someone else's advice, bought the window and the isle hoping no one will sit in the middle. :) I guess I haven't done enough flying because the turbulence thing didn't even cross my mind. now to figure out how to change diapers on a plane... ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Many aircraft have a changing table in the lav. You can also, if he's small enough, use your seat. Is it direct SEA to BOS? I was going to say if it was short just change him at your connection. But for that long of a flight the lav or the seat works. I changed Laine in her carseat when we went to NY in December.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I usually just plop them in my lap to change them when possible when they're small. Once they're older even on long flights I can usually change them right before they get buckled, and then as soon as we get off the plane. (Often they'll sleep the whole time, my kids anyway, so it's just like going 4 or 5 hours without a change at night time or on a long drive without a stop.)

waterbaby

I buckle myself in... why not the baby?

And I feel your pain. Flying a family of five is not cheap! But, we've always bought every child their own seat and will do the same for any future babies.

waterbaby

thanks! I bought him a seat. And, thanks to someone else's advice, bought the window and the isle hoping no one will sit in the middle. :) I guess I haven't done enough flying because the turbulence thing didn't even cross my mind. now to figure out how to change diapers on a plane... ;)

Just an FYI... if someone does by the middle seat, you will be the one stuck in the middle as the carseat will have to be at the window seat. If no one buys it, you can put the carseat in the middle or at the window. ;)

mamahen

Just an FYI... if someone does by the middle seat, you will be the one stuck in the middle as the carseat will have to be at the window seat. If no one buys it, you can put the carseat in the middle or at the window. ;)

good to know. I figured it someone bought the middle they wouldn't complain about getting moved to the isle.

He's 7 months now and super squirmy so I hope I dont have to do any major changes on the plane. Luckily I got a direct flight so I'll just get it over with. :)

vonfirmath

Good luck with that change. I really try to avoid changing on the plane with possible because the loudness of the plane is LOUDER in the lavatory and my "not scared of anything" boy screamed the whole time we were in there.

leighi123

After flying on over 200 flights myself, and my dad flying around the world (literally) every other month for several years, I have never been on a flight where I would be concerned about having a lap child.

This includes the one flight I was on that was an 'emergancy' landing, and many in severe storms with lots of turbulence.

Ds didnt get his own seat until he was required to have one when he turned 2 (and now he rides in his carseat on the plane of course)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC