Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: Warning - Horrible Crash on I-65 in KY

Quote Originally Posted by elle7715 View Post
    This just makes me so sad...the 2 month old died but the older brothers survived. It was a 15 passenger van according to the article.
    I'm wondering if the baby was unrestrained - being fed, or simply not in a seat at all.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

it might not be something like that... it could be where the baby was in relation to the point of impact.

there's more to it in these serious crashes than just being properly restrained...

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

4. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by TerisBoys View Post
    I'm wondering if the baby was unrestrained - being fed, or simply not in a seat at all.
    That's what I was thinking too...
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

Every one of us wants to know that there was something we could have done, if we had been in this accident, to have prevented most of those deaths. We want to know that our tiny baby wouldn't have died, that our 3 and 5 year olds would still have their parents and their grandparents and their friends and relatives. We want to believe that our car is better, our car seat use is better, our driving is better, our luck is better.

We want to believe all that, because not believing it is terrifying.

But sometimes, none of that matters.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

All I can think of, in this thread, is what happened if my family was in an accident that killed us all, and people online were speculating about my faults as a parent in how I restrained my kid.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

I think it proves that not all expired car seats are death traps. Even those old, expired, maybe even recalled car seats saved lives.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Yes that. Those seats helped save lives.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    All I can think of, in this thread, is what happened if my family was in an accident that killed us all, and people online were speculating about my faults as a parent in how I restrained my kid.
    If this is referring to me, I wasn't speculating about anyone's faults. If baby was in a row with any of the adults then it's obvious why he didn't survive. Since there was no mention of a carseat for him when there was such an emphasis on the carseat use for the older two, then I wonder if there was a seat being used for him. It's all objective thinking.

If that happened to our compact car only a futuristic forcefield would save my kids. So no judging on my part...only sadness.
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1

To me it looks like an infant carseat in picture #9,maybe laying on something red..maybe my eyes are deceiving me..

H-5/99 A-8/03 J-B/D-4/05 E-9/06 and A-10/11

Quote Originally Posted by kidrepair View Post
    To me it looks like an infant carseat in picture #9,maybe laying on something red..maybe my eyes are deceiving me..
    I'm not sure what picture it was and I am not going to look at the photos again I seen more than I wanted to when I looked the day it happened as I have family in that immediate area and all we heard on the news at first was a deadly crash involving a semi. but anyway... I believe I saw in a couple photos an infant bucket that was covered up. I am amazed that the two survived to begin with but I am not surprised that such a young one was taken in the crash.
    DS 1/07 84lbs
    DS2 12/09 45lbs