Warning - Horrible Crash on I-65 in KY

ADS

Qarin

What a horrific crash. Any clues what kind of van that was? The blue color makes me think not a 15-passenger-van, but maybe a Sprinter? 12 people travelling in it... I hope it was meant to hold that many.

The car seats look old to me, too, though I've been surprised at times by some seats that look old but aren't expired.

That poor family.

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
What a horrific crash. Any clues what kind of van that was? The blue color makes me think not a 15-passenger-van, but maybe a Sprinter? 12 people travelling in it... I hope it was meant to hold that many.

The car seats look old to me, too, though I've been surprised at times by some seats that look old but aren't expired.

That poor family.

I'm not sure what kind of van it was but I'm still getting details. My dad and uncle were traveling to Nashville this morning on I-65. I just spoke with my dad who heard about the crash on the news and took an alternate route. He said that he heard it was a 16-passenger, but I'm not sure. My guess is 15 passenger. He also said my uncle was in that area about 15 minutes after it happened so I am waiting to speak with him to find out more detail.

Murphy's Law

This is indeed very sad. I also noticed the seats - I've seen pictures of at least 3 convertible seats, all appear to be old/expired.

The articles I've read say 15 passenger van.

What a tragedy this is.

crunchierthanthou

That poor family.

I thought Sprinters have headrests and the seats are much more modular.

That seat doesn't have headrests and the outboard seatbelt is a lap-only. You can see it hanging off the left side. That van was at least as old as the seats.

What a terrible crash. :(

chelsi82

That. Sucks. :(

I believe (as per radio news) that the van belonged to a church, lent :question: to this family. They had lost their home/all their possessions in a house fire & the church had recently built a house for them to help supply their need.

Sooo SAD.
:crying::crying:

rosey2007

I feel really bad for the family and cannot imagine what those poor surviving children will have to face in the future. I also keep wondering about the truck driver. I wonder if the driver was driving legally (within federal regulations). It is amazing what these truck drivers have to go through to keep a job.

lovinwaves

The blue color makes me think not a 15-passenger-van, but maybe a Sprinter?

I think the blue you are seeing is the blue tarps covering the deceased bodies :( I thought it was the van color as well until I saw the pictures. You can see the complete top of the van that was sawed off, and laid on the highway. It appears the van was black or some other dark color.

Qarin

I will have to admit here that posting guesses like "a Sprinter" was me trying to hold out hope that a crappy vehicle didn't contribute at all to the horrificness, and I'm glad I didn't look so closely as to think the blue was tarps.

My thoughts are going out to the rescue workers, too. What a terrible scene to have to work.

jaded

I'm on another board and a member knows the family, she, and her family are devastated.

The one seat is an Evenflo, and they stopped making all the models that looked like that in 2002. the other vaguely looks like a Renolux.

tjham

Two kids saved by car seats

But how awful for the rest of the family! :(

2 boys survive
crash that
killed 11

Kentucky police credit child safety seats for sparing the siblings. Full story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36064243/ns/us_news-life/

Police credited child safety seats for sparing Josiah, 5, and his brother, Johnny, 3, the lone survivors.

A bulldozer loaded still-smoldering debris from the truck into large containers. Twisted bits of metal littered the roadside. The heavily damaged van was mostly shrouded with tarpaulins. A bench seat from the van rested on the road with two children's' car seats attached.

Evolily

It doesn't look very survivable even if the children were ideally restrained :( my guess is the two surviving children were belted in in the back seat- farthest away from the impact.

Kat_Momof3

Re: Two kids saved by car seats

so incredibly sad for those two precious babies to lose their parents (and what wonderful people they were, going by the article... they adopted these boys, took great care of them, had lots of family and friends, were active in their faith and in helping others..)... I know they are in heaven watching over their boys...

though it's so sad that they couldn't have stayed on earth to watch them.... it's truly a wonderful thing that they properly used their carseats so that they could be saved when no one else was.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: Two kids saved by car seats

Hey... I'm not bothered by it, as I'd already read the thread elsewhere, but you might want to edit a note into your title or the top of your post, since I think this could be upsetting to some. (Especially that last paragraph at the bottom of your post.)

I think it's valuable and important to be here, but I would just hate to see someone upset because they didn't realize what they were opening until they read it.

I merged the newer thread from Carseat Chat with an earlier, ongoing thread discussing the tragic crash in the News and Media forum which also has a warning in the thread title.

elle7715

This just makes me so sad...the 2 month old died but the older brothers survived. It was a 15 passenger van according to the article.
According to Hart, every seat in the 15-passenger can the Mennonite family was riding in was equipped with seat belts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC