Frontier 85 VS Nautilus ***PICS***

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Sarah came over tonight and we played musical seats. She wanted to try the Frontier 85 in her car and w/Jackson to see if it fit and how much grow room he had. It fits her car like a DREAM (the regular Frontier did not work for her) and Jackson...who is a BIG 3yr old...has oodles of growing room in the Frontier 85...but is already getting squished in the Nauti despite having one harness slot left.

FWIW, I only got 19.5" for the top harness height. Oh, and despite the Frontier being physically narrower then the Nauti...it has more seating room. :thumbsup: And the Nauti crotch strap at the furthest out spot...is the same as the Frontier's middle position...so a full 2" more room in the Frontier. The crotch strap is shorter on the Frontier though, by about 1". And the Frontier seat is much deeper then the Nauti too.

On to the pics...(and sorry, no booster mode pics...somehow we missed those, though we did compare them!).

Both seats at the lowest settings.
CarSeatComparison001.jpg

Both at the highest (had to rotate the block on the Frontier to keep it from sliding forward on the floor!)
CarSeatComparison004.jpg

Seat depth.
CarSeatComparison002.jpg

And Jackson...with the seat all the way up to show how much room to grow he has...uninstalled...so obviously installed will change this slightly.
CarSeatComparison007.jpg

And the lowest harness slots on the Frontier are honestly a joke! I can't imagine any kid needing them, that fits the requirements for the seat. Even my peanut of a 2yr old is on the 3rd from the bottom setting...and he's tiny....and doesn't have a long torso AT ALL.

But, after comparing the 2 seats...the Frontier 85 wins hands down!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Oh, and when we tried it in booster mode....all the way to the top...I had Sarah sit in it...and she's not considered short....and she fit! I don't know if she'd fit in a car...but she did in the house! LOL

myliljunebugs

Oooooh, I wish I hadn't missed that playdate! :D And now of course I *need* one for Ella. Which is totally silly since she is even with the next to top slot on the Radian and doesn't want to use it RF'ing anymore (she dropped back below 45lbs when we took away all carbs and sugar, go figure! LOL). I may convince myself that I need this next fall when I can afford it. I need to see her in one now. Sigh. Thanks a lot! ;)

Kaede's_Mom

Ah man, wish I knew you all were playing I would have driven a few miles.

I don't doubt Sarah fits in it, I fit in Kaede's Frontier with it all the way up, and I think I am a bit shorter then she is. It is bad I want the 85 just for the cup holders (one of those thing I swore I would never really need lol), Kaede can't reach the trucks cup holder and with it being captain's chairs we can't pull out her 80's cup holders.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the great comparison. it does seem like a pretty awesome new seat. They really did fix everything about it and it it certainly is going to be highly recommended. The ont thing it doesn't "win" on, of course, is price. For many families, the Nauti or Maestro is still going to be the better choice, simply because the family can afford it. Plus, not to use an already overused term, but for mny kids, the new frontier is overkill in that the nauti, maestro, frontier, radian, Tf, CA, EFTA, etc is going to get the child to a proper booster age, without needing 20 inch top slots, or an 85 lb limit.
it is however, going to rock the market as a super-tall harness and booster seat, with roomy seat, good depth, and of course, rocking cupholders! it will certainly have a place in the market, but for the average child/family, is probably price-prohibitive, and simply unnecesary.

(but i want one)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Fortunately, I had a discount code that saved me $50 off the price of each. I did NEED one for one of my twins...and he's got a super long torso and will need the super tall harness. The other twin, it is definitely overkill. But I like the seat so much and now that I know how to get it into my car, I really prefer how it installs and how it feels to anything else we own. So, in that regard alone, it was a NEED...a need for mommy to not feel guilty about one child being in a superior seat. And there is something to be said for buying a quality product. It is simply a better made, better quality seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC