Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Getting cash back when using formula coupons! Why?

So I have a question that makes no since to me or the walmart manager. When I use food stamps to buy formula with the $5.00 coupons they keep sending me, I buy the formula that is ready to drink that cost like $5.50 or so.

As long as I buy food only they give me cash back ranging from 3.oo-4.59. What is up with that. I have talked with the manger numerous times and he says he has to give me the cash back. I explained that I am using FS and should not get any money back. He says he has to keep his cashiers from looking like they stole money.

What gives?

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Getting cash back when using formula coupons! Why?

Quote Originally Posted by nevaehsmommy View Post
    So I have a question that makes no since to me or the walmart manager. When I use food stamps to buy formula with the $5.00 coupons they keep sending me, I buy the formula that is ready to drink that cost like $5.50 or so.

As long as I buy food only they give me cash back ranging from 3.oo-4.59. What is up with that. I have talked with the manger numerous times and he says he has to give me the cash back. I explained that I am using FS and should not get any money back. He says he has to keep his cashiers from looking like they stole money.

What gives?
    Its because they process the coupons for formula like travelers checks, so to their system they are cash
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

This came up on another board. I guess the Q is coded as non-food or something like that.

Well I feel a little (alot) dishonest taking the money. Casue when I use the checks I use all 4 of them at one time. We dont actually use formula but I give it to my sister who is giving her 20 month (heart issues and slow to gain baby 3 % for weight) formula.

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3

It's because they aren't coupons... they are a check. A check is a form of payment. So you give them the check then you use food stamps which makes your balance zero (because formula is food) and they give you back your "overage" that the register thinks you already paid in cash.
    Kristen, CPST-I, driving a '15 Odyssey
    Kendall, 11 years, 5-stepping
    Riley, 9 years, FR90, Cambria
    Nolan, 8 years, Nauti, Cambria
    Parker, 5 years, FR90, TKD Foonf

since you are feeling bad about it and already getting the item for free because you are buying with fs what about just leaving the check for someone else to use?

Senior Community Member

If it was me and I quailified for food stamps and was using my food stamps to help my sister out, I would turn around use the cash to buy food or if I didn't need it I would find a homeless shelter or something similiar to donate to. That would make me feel better.

As the previous person said you could always try to find someone to give the checks too as well.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

CPS Fanatic

Yes, great idea to pay it forward (if you can afford to)!

I have listed them on craigslist and freecycle. More times then not the mother wants me send them to her through the mail. All right so send me a SASE envelop no problem. But the other mom does not do it. Even when I remind her gently that maybe she has forgotten but I am still holding on to the checks.

I have also tried to give them to local pregnacy places but they wont take them for liability bc my name is on the check...

My sister gets FS as well so she would be getting the cash back as well. I usally just use the money to buy diapers for her.

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3

Hmmm...it always just takes $5 off my total. I shop at kroger though. Walmart doesn't carry her formula.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

Senior Community Member

I wouldn't feel bad about buying her diapers. Diapers (disposable or cloth) are a basic need, well, unless she does EC. But, really, its not like you are buying drugs, cigarettes, booze or even getting your nails done with it. You are not even using it for YOU! Don't feel bad. I think you are doing a great thing AND you are making the tax-payers dollars stretch further.
    Last edited by arly1983; 03-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

I get those checks all the time but never for the kind I use. I just put them on the shelf in the grocery store next to the formula it is for. That way it will be a nice surprise for someone!(who hopefully needs it)
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Quote Originally Posted by hrice View Post
    I get those checks all the time but never for the kind I use. I just put them on the shelf in the grocery store next to the formula it is for. That way it will be a nice surprise for someone!(who hopefully needs it)
    Personally I wouldn't do this if you want them used by someone that really needs them. I am into coupon trading and formula coupons and checks are hot trade items. I was in the market the other day picking up formula for a friend and I caught a woman peeling all the peelie coupons off every can of Enfamil there. I think that she made off with about 30 of them. I didn't think that she was taking them for herself - she looked to be in her 60's - and I am nosy that way and told her that she shouldn't do that it was not nice. She admitted she was going to trade them.
    Peggy, RN-Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, CPST and Mommy to Connor (2/05) in a Graco Highback TurboBooster with Safety Surround

I, too, would trade them with someone else if you're feeling guilty. FWIW, Buying food for someone who doesn't live in your household and prepare meals with you is food stamp fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy3Monkeys View Post
    I, too, would trade them with someone else if you're feeling guilty. FWIW, Buying food for someone who doesn't live in your household and prepare meals with you is food stamp fraud.
    Did not know that...but I watch her kids 4 days a week for 5 to 8 hours a day. I guess they still dont live with me though.

Now I really feel guilty and like I am breaking a law. But why do they send them to me when my daughter is almost 4!

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3

Quote Originally Posted by nevaehsmommy View Post
    Did not know that...but I watch her kids 4 days a week for 5 to 8 hours a day. I guess they still dont live with me though.

Now I really feel guilty and like I am breaking a law. But why do they send them to me when my daughter is almost 4!
    I've always got them, too... regardless of my kids ages. I think your name gets in their system and they just keep sending the coupons. I was getting toddler formula coupons up until like 3 months ago from Enfamil. And my youngest is 3.5 LOL

Don't feel guilty about the food stamps... you didn't know.

If the kids are with you that much, see if you could get them put on your case since they eat meals with you 50% of the week. Does she have a food stamp case? If not, you might be able to add them, even if they don't live with you... FS is based on who cooks and eats together.

She stated in an earlier posting that she gets food stamps as well. So she wouldn't be able to claim the kids.
    Brooklyn- 7 years, 47 lbs and 49 inches riding in an Oobr, 2 Ollis, Monterey, Vivo, Literider, and Cruz

Senior Community Member

When you buy the formula with FS is it actually taking the full amount of the formula off your FS, then refunding you cash?

If you use manufacturer coupons with FS you pay the full price but get the value of the coupon back in cash, because you are not getting the discount when paying with FS, so it kind of evens out.

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

If the formula you're buying for your sister is $5.50 and you have a $5 coupon...why not do a separate transaction and pay the $.50? That way you're helping your sister, and not committing any fraud or getting any weird cash back.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.