Question Need advice - 89 Jeep Cherokee

my2boys

DH just bought an 89 (yes, 89 not 98) cherokee to be his vehicle for work and such. Mine is a 97 Explorer and will be the main vehicle.
My concern is there are no shoulder belts in the backseat on the cherokee. While the boys won't be in there much, there is a chance they could be occasionally. DS1 is in a booster (Turbo), DS2 is still in a FPSVD (for a little while longer - not sure what his next seat will be).

Can shoulder belts be installed?
Can tether anchors be installed?
What are my options for allowing the boys to ride in the Cherokee?

Thanks.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do not know if shoulder belts can be installed, but that's something to look into -- in fact, it would be a good idea to replace all seatbelts as they are now 21 years old! Tethers can probably be retrofitted. If there are no shoulder belts, then the children would need to be in harnesses, either harnessed seats or travel vests/harnesses.

my2boys

OK.
So I searched back through here and found a post stating that an 89 can have tether anchors installed. I haven't talked to dealers about this though.

I've called a couple Jeep dealers and seatbelts for this year have been discontinued but they all suggested looking at junk yards, etc for some.

Where does this leave me?

(should I move this to the carseat area?)

my2boys

Rebekah,
That was my feeling too. Corporate (at least cust service) directed me to the dealers who say they can't get them. Are there any other options to get new seatbelts?

If I can't get a seat belt, what about a harness/vest with the tether anchor? But then what about when the boys get older?
I much prefer to have the shoulder seatbelt but will make do if I have to.
At least it's not our main vehicle.

skaterbabs

If they're giving you the run-around, then a vest & tether is really your only option. Of course, that still leaves you with 20+ year old seatbelts. :(

skaterbabs

I'm sure there probably is, but I wouldn't know where you'd start looking and of course you'd need to make the parental decision to use aftermarket seatbelts.

my2boys

So dumb question - what's wrong with aftermarket seatbelts? How are they different from replacing seatbelts?
Not trying to be snarky - just trying to gather all the info I can.

Maedze

So dumb question - what's wrong with aftermarket seatbelts? How are they different from replacing seatbelts?
Not trying to be snarky - just trying to gather all the info I can.

You have no way of knowing if they will work. That's pretty much it.

Also, if you choose to go the vest/top tether direction, keep in mind that the back seat is probably not high enough to provide safe head and neck support.

I would suggest looking into an 86-Y harness with a high back booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC