VENT: What they don't tell you about FLOAM...

CarSeatPoncho

is that it's REALLY REALLY STICKY!

It is basically styrofoam beads mixed with very thick, sticky glue, plus some pigment.

When I say "thick" I mean melted marshmallows that you mix into Rice Krispies treats. So thick that when you squish it in your fists, it's actually hard for an adult (me) to open her fists. So thick that when your child mushes it between his hands, he can't separate them. You -- with your now Floam-covered fists, will try to wedge his hands apart, and your four hands will just morph. I'm just glad my husband was around to break the cycle.

This is a terrible product, really really un-fun, and (big surprise) nowhere near as easy to handle as it is in the commercial.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, isn't it GROSS?!?!?! My mom sent me some when I was in college and I thought it had gotten sticky in transit during shipping or something... it's totally NOT fun :p.

canadianmom2three

Hmmmm I guess I got off lucky when I cheaped out and bought the no-name floam. The kids all complained about how "it doesn't stick to everything, like they say in the commercial" but at least there were no morphing hands to deal with;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My mom got some for Leila & she loves it -- I'm just glad Grandma waited until Leila was old enough to not put stuff in her mouth anymore.... But, thankfully, she hasn't gotten it stuck in her clothes: I make her use it only on a plastic floor mat, though!

arly1983

What I really hate about it is that it leaves a residue behind on whatever it touches (hands) then the hands touch everything. Definatly a sit at the table and play with this type of thing.

Disgusting stuff. I'd rather have Play-doh, to be honest. At least that will eventually dry and crumble and can be picked out of the carpet.

Besides, have any of you actually smelled this stuff? :eek: Horrid.

Michi

Floam IS bad, and Moon Sand is also nasty stuff.

It feels okay, but because it's waterproof it's very hard to wash off of stuff.
My kids got some for Christmas, and I now have gritty/colored measuring cups and spoons. I think they call it MOON sand because that's exactly where I want to send the inventor of the stuff!

twokidstwodogs

Oh dear. I've never used it, but we just gave some of it to DD's classmate as a birthday present. Perhaps I should apologize to her parents.....

southpawboston

I have never used it. I like playdough myself

yeah, from the sounds of it, i'm staying clear of this stuff!!! playdough it great... our magdalena loves it, it doesn't stick to her clothes or the rug, it doesn't stain, and it barely leaves any residue. it's kid-tested, parent-approved. ;) why mess with a good thing!

lovinwaves

Oh dear. I've never used it, but we just gave some of it to DD's classmate as a birthday present. Perhaps I should apologize to her parents.....

For some reason your post cracked me up! I can see it now, "Sorry, for giving your DD a horrible present!" LOL it just doesn't sound right :p

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
FLOAM is not allowed in my house anymore. I can't believe that DH, super neat freak, bought it for DS.

twokidstwodogs

For some reason your post cracked me up! I can see it now, "Sorry, for giving your DD a horrible present!" LOL it just doesn't sound right :p

No, it doesn't sound so great. I had better watch out--perhaps they'll be getting revenge when DD's birthday rolls around! In my defense, I wasn't the one who selected it. DD did. But I think I'm still responsible.

As for Playdoh, my only objection to it is that my golden retriever finds it extremely tasty. I actually had to call the vet once when she ate a ton of it. I know it's non-toxic, but I wasn't sure how well it "passes" through a dog's system. (Just fine, in case anyone needs to know!) We don't dare buy the scented kind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC