Some interesting, random head size information

mommycat

I was looking for something else and ended up on a tangent. :p

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch269/ch269b.html
Head circumference: Head circumference reflects brain size and is routinely measured up to 2 yr. At birth, the brain is 25% of adult size, and head circumference averages 35 cm. Head circumference increases an average 1 cm/mo during the 1st yr; growth is more rapid in the 1st 8 mo, and by 12 mo, the brain has completed half its postnatal growth and is 75% of adult size. Head circumference increases 3.5 cm over the next 2 yr; the brain is 80% of adult size by age 3 yr and 90% by age 7 yr.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_weight_of_an_adult_human_head
An adult human cadaver head cut off around vertebra C3, with no hair, weighs on average somewhere between 4.5 and 5 kg, typically constituting around 8% of the body mass.
(~10lbs)

http://www.securatot.co.uk/why-rear-facing-is-safer
A child’s proportions are different from that of an adult. A child’s head weighs 25% of their total body weight compared to an adult, which is 6%.
proportions.gif

http://www.idrawdigital.com/2009/01/drawing-the-human-form-proportions-from-child-to-adult/
prop2.jpg

ADS

Andie

Very interesting. So if I'm reading this right, if adults were proportioned like kids, a 200lb person would have a 50lb head? :eek:

Kat_Momof3

I've seen all that before... great info... and glad it was posted again... because this is one of the obvious reasons why rearfacing and harnessing are more necessary for younger kids... as the head is PROPORTIONALLY smaller AND the spine solidifies, the logistics and dynamics of the body and what will happen in a crash change and the risks lower for moving up in seats.

Yoshi

I've seen all that before... great info... and glad it was posted again... because this is one of the obvious reasons why rearfacing and harnessing are more necessary for younger kids... as the head is PROPORTIONALLY smaller AND the spine solidifies, the logistics and dynamics of the body and what will happen in a crash change and the risks lower for moving up in seats.

Bolding mine. Do you mean Proportionally larger?;)

Kat_Momof3

I think she means as the head GETS proportionally smaller, compared to the body. :thumbsup:

this exactly... I put proportionally in all caps to make sure no one thought I was nuts and saying that a kid's head shrinks.

but yes, as a child gets older and larger, proportionally, the head is smaller compared to the body... and thereby, along with the spine getting more solid, you're less likely to have internal decapitation (or less severe but still pretty bad types of trauma to the neck and spine) from being forward facing or in a booster.

AtTheSouthDam

There is my proof that my child with the 8.5" head, 17" inseam and a 13.5 (12.5 sitting down ;)) torso is all out of whack. She has a big head and LONG legs, lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC