Spare parts?

2BunniesMommy

I am wondering what everyone does with padding that comes with a seat that you are not using and don't think will ever be used?

For example, when I had a Decathlon for DD1, she only used the infant padding for a couple months, but since I planned to sell the cover when done with the seat I put the pads in box and stored them until that time.

We recently got both a GN and a Generations65. Both have padding that can only be used for a baby using the lowest slot. I will not have a baby forward facing and therefore with not use this padding. I also would not pass it on to someone whose child was small enough to use the padding. DD1 has these inserts and uses them for her dolls. She also has the MyRide65 insert, even though there is a chance of that one being used in the future, but the chance is so small and the insert so pretty, I didn't want to store it.

So, I am wonder if most people store padding that will never be used or do something else with it?

ADS

Pixels

I have a TrueFit box with all the exrta stuff. I have an extra Radian65 cover with memory foam, the infant insert for the RadianXT and TF, harness pads and belly pad for the 65, and miscellaneous other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Auntie2Avi

I have the TF padding in my closet just hanging out. I was thinking about using the seat for my friends dd rather than her infant seat, so I might want to use the padding. I'm undecided. I hate having it sit in the closet but if I sell the seat I would want to sell the whole thing with padding.

mommycat

I have a big bag full of spare carseat parts in a closet. I always include all the bits and pieces if I sell a seat. Sometimes you end up selling a seat you didn't think you would for whatever reason, so I would never discard anything. I have never yet had to trash a seat that was in good shape so I've never had to think about selling covers or throwing away otherwise "good" parts.

April

I have three rubbermaid containers full of that stuff sitting in the garage. Nautilus padding, extra covers, cupholder for my Apex, old Radian chest clip, etc. With the hassle and price of ordering replacement parts, I like to hang on to it all before getting rid of a seat.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have a couple of boxes in my closet. I already had one for things like my Nautilus padding, TF infant padding, youth seat harnesses etc, but then when I stripped covers and harnesses from my crashed seats it became a necessity. I need to go through and ziploc baggie all of the pieces together so that I can sell them once I get swap access, though.

April

I have a couple of boxes in my closet. I already had one for things like my Nautilus padding, TF infant padding, youth seat harnesses etc, but then when I stripped covers and harnesses from my crashed seats it became a necessity. I need to go through and ziploc baggie all of the pieces together so that I can sell them once I get swap access, though.

You keep harnesses from crashed seats? Or the harness wasn't in when the seat was crashed?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You keep harnesses from crashed seats? Or the harness wasn't in when the seat was crashed?

I think probably the seat wasn't occupied, so the harness and cover would still be good, even though the shell and latch straps, if in use, would have to be trashed. ;)

April

I think probably the seat wasn't occupied, so the harness and cover would still be good, even though the shell and latch straps, if in use, would have to be trashed. ;)

Makes sense. I never kept the harnesses from my last batch of unoccupied crashed seats. It was hard enough to take four covers off while injured with the insurance adjuster hanging over my shoulder. :rolleyes:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

:yeahthat:

I was by myself when I crashed, but I had a ton of seats with me. Shells and any part that was in use (ie tethers -- I didn't have LATCH) got left in the van, but I took the covers and anything else I could remove that had not been in use. My understanding was that it was okay to do that, from other threads on here, so if there's some safety issue I have zero problem throwing them out.

My car was at a salvage yard (scary place!) and the guys there were awesome at letting me take however long I needed to pull everything out of the vehicle. They said they'd never seen so many carseats in one vehicle, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC