Here's a comparison pic of the FR, FR85 and Regent side by side

Mommy0608

My Frontiers had a little play date with Mary's (Monzogary) Regent today. :p I measured the slot height of the FR85 at 20.25" at the the highest point, the Regent at about 19.5". The shoulder width of the Regent is about an inch and a half wider than the FR85. I forgot to measure the FR to compare, but will do so eventually.

ETA: Both Frontier models are shown with the harness in the highest position. The Regent's straps are on the second highest position.

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy0608

I wish I'd have written down the width measurements because I don't remember them now. :eek: I just remember it was about 1.5" difference. One of these days I'll get some more accurate measurements to submit.

Oh, and the FR85 harness measurement was the measurement to the actual slot, not the cover. I noticed that the actual position of the slot is higher than the hole in the cover.

MomToEliEm

For the Britax Frontier 85, we are still missing from the spreadsheet:
Crotch Buckle Length (strap + buckle length)
Lowest Booster Belt Guide Height
Highest Booster Belt Guide Height
If you think you could gather those pieces of data, that would be great (you can also verify the other measurements if you wish)

If you still have access to the Frontier 80, we are still needing:
Crotch Buckle Length
Internal Seating Depth
Lowest Booster Belt Guide Height
Highest Booster Belt Guide Height

Mommy0608

I will try to get them. I wish I'd have done it this morning while I had the seats out, but of course I didn't think to write anything down. :doh:

I do have both Frontiers in my possession. The problem is finding kid-free time to take measurements, but I will try to do it soon. :)

April

Ooh great pic, thank you! It looks like the FR85 has less of a slope in the bum/leg area. Do you think it will be less supportive for leggy kids?

steph_s

Thank you for these pictures!!! I just got rid of my old Frontier because I needed more harness height and it was just too short front to back for my kids. They were complaining about their legs falling asleep. So, since you have both which one has more leg room? Is the leg room of the Frontier 85 and the Regent comparable? It looks like the new angle of the seating area might work better.

Mommy0608

Hm, I don't know about how the leg room compares between the 3 seats. I will measure both Frontiers soon to find out (hopefully tomorrow, we'll see). I don't have access to the Regent, but perhaps someone else can measure that to compare. If I had to guess, I would say there's not much of a difference between the two Frontier models.

MomToEliEm

Is the leg room of the Frontier 85 and the Regent comparable? It looks like the new angle of the seating area might work better.

From the spreadsheets, the internal seating depth of the Frontier 85 is 14 inches. The internal seating depth of the regent is 11.5-12 in. It is missing the internal seating depth for the frontier 80.

steph_s

From the spreadsheets, the internal seating depth of the Frontier 85 is 14 inches. The internal seating depth of the regent is 11.5-12 in. It is missing the internal seating depth for the frontier 80.

Something about that doesn't seem right. My son complained of feeling like he was "falling out" (forward) in the frontier similar to the old style parkway. He has never had that complaint from the Regent or any other seat for that matter and he has had a lot of seats! lol Plus when he is sitting in the old style Frontier his knees bend past the front of the seat. In the Regent they bend right over the end of the seat.

MomToEliEm

Something about that doesn't seem right. My son complained of feeling like he was "falling out" (forward) in the frontier similar to the old style parkway. He has never had that complaint from the Regent or any other seat for that matter and he has had a lot of seats! lol Plus when he is sitting in the old style Frontier his knees bend past the front of the seat. In the Regent they bend right over the end of the seat.

I just went out to check my regent and got about 12.5-13 in (tapers down). I will update the spreadsheet. If someone could verify the frontier measurements, that would be great.

Morganthe

So the FR85 is taller than the Regent??

Don't be in a rush. The flipped forward base is still required on the FR85. On the older version, that fact caused dd to lose 2.5 inches in harness between sitting on the floor and when it was properly installed. The base + vehicle seat's lean pushed her up a lot higher than I thought it would.

I'd love to see similar kids sitting in INSTALLED Frontiers vs Regents to get a real sense of comparison.

A question -- does the FR85 have that double tightening Lower anchor aligator clip that the old style had? You could snug them down on each side? If it does, then that also caused poor installation on my Passat. Too much hard stuff, not enough soft :( Hard to explain. I hope they went to single side. More of a PITA to tighten, but I suspect there are more cars that would allow it.

Calideedle

I am going to try it out tomorrow to be sure. I am a bit worried about the recline block and my crazy slanted seats making the top slots a few inches lower.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Don't be in a rush. The flipped forward base is still required on the FR85. On the older version, that fact caused dd to lose 2.5 inches in harness between sitting on the floor and when it was properly installed. The base + vehicle seat's lean pushed her up a lot higher than I thought it would.

I'd love to see similar kids sitting in INSTALLED Frontiers vs Regents to get a real sense of comparison.
I'd love that too. :)
A question -- does the FR85 have that double tightening Lower anchor aligator clip that the old style had? You could snug them down on each side? If it does, then that also caused poor installation on my Passat. Too much hard stuff, not enough soft :( Hard to explain. I hope they went to single side. More of a PITA to tighten, but I suspect there are more cars that would allow it.

According to the carseatblog review, it has a single tightener.

courtfrog2

Okay.. I'm at work so I can't see the pics. I will look tonight. One question I have. In booster mode, I found that the old style frontier went really high. Which was great, but I couldn't use it that high in the back seat of my dodge caravan because it hit the top. I'm not sure if it could go all the way up in the bucket seat.

So, since the new frontier 85 is taller, wouldn't it defeat the purpose if it touches the roof of cars or vans? Or is it a different shape?

I'm just missing something :eek:

2BunniesMommy

It has added harness settings and the top harnessed position is higher than in the original. From what I have read, the 85's highest booster position is actually lower than the original.

courtfrog2

Does anyone know if the Frontier 85 will hit the ceiling or come really close if adjusted to the top harness height? In a Dodge Caravan (Either seat position). This seat is very neat!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

It's a single strap, and really, the belt path is SO much better..it's wide and on the side like a real seat, not like that weird tiny little back path the FR had that the adjusters got hung up in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC