Will these 3 fit in a Ford Focus?

rosomom

My in-laws are staying with our 3 kids while we go on vacation for a week. It sounds like they are bringing their Focus instead of their Explorer (although I'm still campaigning for the 3rd row vehicle).

This is what my kids would *ideally* be in:
* DS (17 months)- RFing in a TFP
* DD1 (6.5 yrs)- boostered in a Recaro YoungSport
* DD2 (just turning 5 yrs)- FFing in a GN

I really doubt I'm going to get those 3 seats in the back of a Focus, but I am not familiar with the car AT ALL.

I would also be comfortable if DD2 was boostered in the YoungSport and DD1 rode in her HB TB. But I don't know if anyone will be getting a booster buckled in either arrangement.

Will this work at all? Or does DH just need to man-up and tell them they have to bring the Explorer?

(The reason they aren't bringing it is b/c MIL will be here the whole time & doesn't like driving the Explorer, and FIL will only be here over one weekend.)

Any ideas?
Thanks!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I seriously doubt that either of those arrangements are going to fit, although I could be wrong. The True Fit and Nautilus are both pretty wide, and the Nautilus doesn't always puzzle well with other seats.

We have a "three across" thread somewhere that you should track down - I know there are several people who have posted Focus combinations. (I've never had a True Fit or Young Sport in my Focus.)

munchkin

I have a picture somewhere with a Truefit RF outboard and a Nautilus FF (obviously) in the middle. I know they were both independently installed, but I don't remember how much space was left. Let me see if I can find it and I will update.

macmomma

Seriously doubt they will fit- I have two Tf installed in mine and there is no room to even consider placing a third seat..... I know you only have one TF to install and then other seats but I just can not see it :(

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I can't see it either. I had a nauti and a titan installed, and could not get ANYthing else in there..not even a regular small adult person just squeezing in.

mommy2jasmine

We have a Focus, and right now we have 2 car seats RF in it. The Radian XT in the middle, and the Scenera outboard passenger side. They're snug, but independently installed, and if you check the 3 across thread a couple people have done the same. I think an EFTA was on the other side. There isn't a lot of room back there, and I don't think that the combo you're looking at will fit, but honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with those seats. I just know that the Radian and the Scenera are both seats that are not too wide, and anything wider would probably be too wide, unless they just puzzled well.

lpperry

Are your inlaws coming from far away? It sounds like you'd be taking a big risk if they bring their focus. What if the seats don't fit?

Also, even if the seats do fit, it may be fine for you, who is already good at buckling everyone, to be able to get everyone buckled in a tight situation. However, think about your mom trying to get everyone in the car 3 across. What if the rf one only works in the middle? Will she be able to get the 17 month old in the seat and reach in the middle and buckle correctly? Will she be able to buckle and unbuckle the booster kids without accidently unbuckling another seat? If she unbuckles a harnessed seat, will she know how to reinstall?

Bringing the Focus sounds like a bad idea. It's not really about having your dh man-up and telling them to bring the Explorer. It's not like you are requiring the Explorer for some silly reason (ds1 only likes red cars, for example). I think you just need to talk to them and tell them that there is no way to fit three of your car seats in a Ford Focus, so they will have to bring the larger car.

rosomom

Thanks for all the replies. I really had no idea if it would work at all.

My in-laws are not very knowledgeable about carseats at all, and really don't see why my older two even still need seats at all (let alone why-on-earth I would still have my 5 year-old harnessed). Just something they don't think about.

Bringing the Focus sounds like a bad idea. It's not really about having your dh man-up and telling them to bring the Explorer. It's not like you are requiring the Explorer for some silly reason (ds1 only likes red cars, for example). I think you just need to talk to them and tell them that there is no way to fit three of your car seats in a Ford Focus, so they will have to bring the larger car.

I agree with this statement 100%. It's one of those things that DH thinks its just easier to not try to explain things to his parents and just go with what they want to do. He's completely with me, though, that having our kids in less-than-optimal seating is not an option to be considered.

Thanks again. We'll be insisting on the Explorer and I will make sure everything is installed correctly before we leave. My girls would speak up if the in-laws tried to have them ride without their seats (or in their seats, but incorrectly).

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Could you pick up a Scenera or Avenue to use instead of the TF just for them (and it never hurts to have a spare seat)? Those are way narrower than the TF.

rosomom

Could you pick up a Scenera or Avenue to use instead of the TF just for them (and it never hurts to have a spare seat)? Those are way narrower than the TF.

I actually have a Scenera, but was going to install it in my mom's Trailblazer, as she will have the kids with her for a bit in the middle of our trip. The driving she'll be doing with them is local-only, so I was going to do Scenera outboard in the 2nd row, DD1 in a TB and DD2 in the YoungSport booster in the 3rd row.

Another option is for the in-laws is to simply drive our van (T&C) while they have the kids (we're flying so it'll be sitting in the garage anyway). That way the seats would be installed the way they are now- no moving around, what-if-they-don't-fit-well questions. But, MIL really is comfortable driving her Focus, so getting her to drive the Explorer will be a victory in itself. I can't imagine she'd agree to drive our van!

nevaehsmommy

Today I got a true fit, scenera and a discovery 5 seat in the Focus. VERY VERY tight. All installed and taken back out and put back in to check for installs

Discover -driver, latch RFing of course

True Fit Middle Belt
Scenera Passenger belt RFing 45*

munchkin

I have a picture somewhere with a Truefit RF outboard and a Nautilus FF (obviously) in the middle. I know they were both independently installed, but I don't remember how much space was left. Let me see if I can find it and I will update.

I am so sorry, I looked through all the folders in my photobucket accounts and can't find them anywhere. I did find a picture with a Marathon (RF) and TrueFit (FF). There is no room next to them for another seat. I remember squeezing myself in there, but I was extremely uncomfortable and pretty much sitting sideways (not safe!). So, I would assume that the NA/TF combo would have about the same space.

Hopefully you can convince your MIL to drive your van or the Explorer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC