Question Omg 2 kids and adult in back of a Jetta Which seat to use?

mburks26

Can I cry now or later

Disney on Ice tomorrow and well taking the darn Jetta new at least 2006 model.

2 4 yrs old and me in the back is it possible? I'm not small but I'm the smaller one of the other 2 adults going.
My dd has a GN or Vivo ( she will be 5 in June but this is a long trip I don't want her in the Vivo)
My dd cousin HTB only. (just turned 4 in Nov and been in high back since before age 3 icky I know)

I know the seats will not fit next to each other. Should I let dd use the Vivo since I will be right there next to her to make sure she sits right. I know on the way home they will fall asleep.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can always lock their belts. I think the Vivo might give you more room. But will you have adequate head restraint and a shoulder belt? What year is it?

skitle1802

That is going to be a really tight squeeze, my neice has a 2005ish jetta and they can barely fit the diaper bag between their 2 car seats, it think EFTA and AOE. Sorry, no help just sympathy.

Maedze

You can always lock their belts. I think the Vivo might give you more room. But will you have adequate head restraint and a shoulder belt? What year is it?

This. Is it even safe for you to ride in the back? If you don't have a shoulder belt and a head restraint, you need to find another way to get there.

mburks26

I know theres a lap shoulder belt its at least a 2006 model.
I cant drive there myself as the only truck we have we cant, take as my husband needs it for work. I don't know how to get there anyway or drive in Dallas.
The only other option is 95 lincoln town car lap only belt in middle and no head rest and the seats dont fit next to each other there either so thats not an option at all.

mburks26

I just checked the 3 across board and someone got a Parkway old style and a Cosco Senera and Parkway next to each other

I looked on the spread sheet
Parkway is 17.25 the Cosco is 17.5

The sheet says TB 16 and Vivo 17 so
it looks like the TB and Vivo will fit next to each other just a pain to buckle?

I know for certain that the GN and Backless Cosco booster wont fit side by side in the Jetta.

I so did not want dd riding in the Vivo for this long of a drive. She does fine on short drives to town 15 to 20 mins max one way.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm betting they will.

What I do with a booster in a tight 3 across is buckle it without the kid in. Then pull slack down from the shoulder belt into the lap belt and have them wiggle under. Then scootch them back and tighten the slack out, voila. No hand-smushing and kid is properly buckled. Getting out, pull slack into the lap belt again and they wiggle back out.

That will of course be a pain to undo if both shoulder belts are locked. But you can probably get away with not locking them on the way there, and then just locking them on the way back, if they're likely to fall asleep. That way you only have one hand smushing episode. :)

Quite honestly at her age and size I think she is absolutely perfectly safe in a booster, as safe as a harness or very close to it, if she sits properly. And with you there to make sure she sits properly I wouldn't anticipate a problem. :) I would not stress about it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
No way is the GN fitting. The only chance you have is vivo and hbtb, and if you put them on the ouside, buckling shouldn't be a problem, since you can buckle them and then suit yourself down in the middle.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If you do put them side-by-side, the one on the outside can be scooted out the door a few inched to buckle the middle child first. Then, sit the one on the outside (still out a few inches). Buckle, scoot the booster back where it goes, then tighten. I have to do this in DH's car all the time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC