I am trying to love this seat, but I don't

cpsaddict

I am borrowing Judi's XTSL. To be completely honest, right now both DH and I hate it. It's nearly impossible to get the harness tight on DD. I understand it is a ratcheting adjuster, but it is MUCH, MUCH harder to do than my new, stiff MA adjuster. Next to the Diplomat, it is downright impossible. It only fits in the middle of DH's truck, with a seatbelt and locking clip(since I broke the belt. Oops.) and when I tighten it, it get even more reclined, just from the motion of tightening it. The seat is also a beast. It is sooo heavy. I have moved it several times and good grief, I think I tore something.:eek: DD also just does not look comfortable in it. She sits all funky. When it's super reclined, she can sleep good, but she is all sorts of ticked off when she's awake. In my car, an 01 Escape, it's quite upright. Mostly though, I dread having to try and get her tightened into it. DH loathes it, hates it, refuses to use it anymore. I have been using everyday, every ride since Sunday and I am simply not loving it. Really, I don't even like it. :( I am really glad I got to try it before buying it, but now I am back at square one. I think. :eek:

ADS

Maedze

To address one of the issues, I have always found the Radian harness to be a real bear. I loop the harness over the child, position it, tighten it to where it looks good, and THEN buckle it in.

If the Radian is out....My Ride? True Fit? Complete Air?

Jennifer mom to my 7

To address one of the issues, I have always found the Radian harness to be a real bear. I loop the harness over the child, position it, tighten it to where it looks good, and THEN buckle it in.

If the Radian is out....My Ride? True Fit? Complete Air?

I would go complete air if the radian doesn't work. But, I got a fab install of the radian in my conversion van:eek: ANd ds has the armrest of the captains chair to rest his leg on....

I think if I ever get my license, then the sienna is getting a complete air. From what I gather, the radian is too reclined in the sienna...

cpsaddict

At least I am not crazy on the harness adjuster. I have adjusted a lot of seats and this one is horrid. My Radian 65 was not this bad. I am thinking of trying the EFTA or the MyRide.

ETA: Maybe the True Fit Premiere. Or say to heck with it and get the cheapest Marathon albee has and be done with it for a year or two.

Spam

I didn't have the radian love either :eek: I've tried twice and i just don't care for it. I wish I :love: it, we're using a MR for now and he's got about an inch of torso growth to go and 7lbs in it. And our tfs, he still rfing in them... dh weighed him yesterday he's holding steady at 33lbs since january now.

monstah

Bummer. Sometimes you just don't feel the love. I despise the TF. It happens. :cool:

and when I tighten it, it get even more reclined, just from the motion of tightening it.
I just want to comment one thing that may help you. The harness adjuster tightens easier when you pull down to the floor. And because of the way the harness runs between the car seat & vehicle seat, depending on how tight your install is and how squishy your seats are, the harness may be getting squished between the two seats. It's even worse if the Safestop is on there.
(Mine adjust easy, possibly because of the leather? I don't know.)

I hope you find a seat you :love: soon! I suggest the MyRide. :D

cpsaddict

I thought it would be so easy to pick a convertible and it was easy picking the Marathon, but who wants all the same seats!? LOL! Ahh, off to search some more. Maybe a Signo....

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I desperately wanted to love the Rn also, but just coudln't. i hatd how bog and long and heavy it was, and the install was awful, even when it was technically okay, I felt like in a side crash, if that big ole thing swung sideways, I would be killing anyone who was sitting beside it when 28 pounds of metal and plastic crunched into them....

I LOVE, absolutely LOVE my complete air. The neck thing has the potential to be annoying, but I have no compunction about illegally using strap covers from my AOE if it becomes an issue.

melniemi

I like mine fine so far. And I was worried I'd hate it because I have much :love: for the marathon :) lol But I don't loosen the harness so adjusting it isn't an issue.

When I adjusted it in the house, it was harder than my ma by far. I had to reach behind the seat, pull by the shoulders, then pull the adjuster strap. I also have it braced in my van (no fancy airbags) so no worries about it becoming reclined due to adjusting it.

I got a pretty upright install too, was worried about that as well. I will use my ma for baby though until he's too scrunched or I feel like mixing things up again.

I miss my Hannah cover already though:eek: Think I need to order a petal one.

AtTheSouthDam

Honestly I found Radian love after I ditched the XT. Dunno, but I really like the 80. RF isn't too bad, I like it to travel with. The only thing that ever bugged me was the install.
I didn't have the TF love. I have owned Britax seat but meh. I like the covers. I really like the Recaros and I am bit sorry I parted with mine so soon. I really want another. RF, though, I think I like the MR best.

Mommy2Marcus

I have never played with a Radian. However I have played with plenty of other seats. I own a MA & I do like it, but don't love it either. I also HATED the TF. It just was not the seat for us. I wanted to love it, but just could not even make myself like it. DH loathed that freakin seat to the end of the world. However my BF has it in her car for her 3 YO & LOVES it. Go figure. However she was using a Scenera.

My favorite seat that I have ever owned & have some serious mad :love: for is my EFTA! It is seriously SO freakin easy to install & use. I have never had any problem installing it in any car RF or FF. It also fits Marcus GREAT! So my vote is for a EFTA!

Then my next favorite seat to that is the MR. Same thing with it. No problems with RF or FF installs. Great seat, but still don't love it as much as my EFTA!

cpsaddict

Ok, so I am not alone in my feelings on the Radian. I swear my 65 was not this annoying. I am pretty sure just arranging it on the seat made my hernia worse. Ok, not really, but lordy this thing is HEAVY. I really doubt I will like the TF. I tried it in the store and the continous harness bugged me. I like the MyRide covers, but not the overall look of the seat. I really like the EFTA, but then I remember that I love rf tethers. IDK, I am so confused. I kind of like the Complete Air, but I really, really balk at spending that much for a Dorel seat. I also feel like at that price, it should have a rf tether and some super nice covers. I mean, my MA was CHEAPER, by quite a bit than a Complete Air. I may just stick with my boring, but tried Marathons or maybe an RA50, but the covers are so blah.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am so glad you borrowed it! I personally do not find the adjuster hard, on that nor my 65. I like both the ma and the radian. Meh, I am weird.

msg221

I received my Radian XTSL Tuesday and installed it in my '03 Highlander with no problems using LATCH. I am not thrilled with how heavy it is, but what else would you expect with a steel frame seat? I haven't had a chance to put a baby in it yet though so I have no idea if I will have problems with the harness. I hope not, because that is one of the reasons I was looking to replace the Advocates that I have! I had problems with the harness locking up to where I couldn't pull it any tighter in those.

I also installed a TFP last week and tried it out with my stepdaughter's 19 month-old son and he fit great in it and seemed very happy and comfy. It installed easily as well, and I like it so far.

If Britax would come up with a seat with some of the features of these other seats and keep their beautiful covers, then I'd be a happy camper!

cpsaddict

I am so glad you borrowed it! I personally do not find the adjuster hard, on that nor my 65. I like both the ma and the radian. Meh, I am weird.

See, I swear my 65 was not this hard. :eek: In my car, I can deal with it, but in Dh's Dodge, it's awful. It is sooo reclined to start with and everytime I tighten it, it just gets more reclined. I do love the narrowness, though. I put it right beside my Marathon and it fit wonderfully. Gavin(21mths) had a lot of leg room and was really comfy in it, but my sister could not tighten him in. He and Kenzie were holding hands! So cute!
It installs in about two seconds in my car, once it's arranged. I have my list of pros and cons, so right now, I am undecided. I so wish the 80SL came in Flora. I realize a steel framed seat is heavy, but man, it surprised me. Oh and I do like the new chest clip on the Radian. I could so deal with the installation issues and heaviness if it just adjusted easier. :eek: DH absolutely hates it, though. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC