Roundabout 50

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Scouting seats at Target. They had the RA 50 and the MA side by side. Gotta say, I can't see a difference in size AT ALL! Informal harness height (elbow to fingers) appears equal, as does shell height when turned back to back (and positioned fully upright).

The RA shell seems lighter and doesn't have the metal bar for LATCH anchorage (not all bad since so many don't know to switch the anchor). Maybe a little less plush but that's all I could see.

To me, the RA 50 makes it much harder to justify the cost of an MA (+ $80). All the kids I've been around outgrow the MA by height before they were anywhere near 65. 50 would have made a pretty close game of outgrowing by height or weight 1st.

Am I missing something?

ADS

hrice

I have both and totally agree with you! I wonder if they are going to faze (sp?) out the MA or replace it with something. The seats are practically identical! Actually, I like the RA50 a little more. And it has several position for the crotch buckle!

skitle1802

I have both and totally agree with you! I wonder if they are going to faze (sp?) out the MA or replace it with something. The seats are practically identical! Actually, I like the RA50 a little more. And it has several position for the crotch buckle!

phase, it took me a second to remember too, those darn "ph"

I found a RA50 and 2 MA on clearance at my local target a couple of weeks ago (regular stock, not online returns) I went back 2 weeks later, both MAs gone but the RA50 had been 30% off before and now 75% off, so I got it for $49.99 +tax! LOL, like I need it, but I was curious how it was different from the RAs I had a couple of years back.

Maedze

No, you aren't missing anything. The RA 50 is essentially the FPSVD from a few years ago. Same harness height as the MA, more crotch strap positions.

Other than the LATCH bars (which some don't like anyway but I was always a big fan of. Would love to see other companies do something similar!), there's nothing to recommend the MA over the RA50. Not that I typically recommend either :p

Maedze

The RA50 doesn’t have lock-off's either, does it? Or am I completely remembering wrong?

I don't think it does, but I also don't think it's that big a deal. All cars since MY 1997 have locking belts. The Roundabout was debuted (I think) in 97, and at that time lock offs were huge since the majority of the vehicles on the road didn't have locking belts.

Nowadays the vast majority of cars DO have locking belts. Not to mention, the average Britax owning parent is likely to be driving a newer-model vehicle.

kaysmom

Thank you for the answer...I agree, not a big deal, it's just one of the only other differences;)

brightredmtn

Thank you for the answer...I agree, not a big deal, it's just one of the only other differences;)

Big deal to me. I hate locking belts for rear facing seats. I've always had cars that make them tip and built in lock offs make the installs so super fast and easy.

kaysmom

Big deal to me. I hate locking belts for rear facing seats. I've always had cars that make them tip and built in lock offs make the installs so super fast and easy.

Good point:thumbsup: Isnt it funny how one thing can be a make or break for one person, and a uh, whatever "extra perk" for another?

cpsaddict

I have both the RA50 and the Marathon. I like them both. I love the LATCH bars and the lock-offs(for the same reason a pp mentioned) on the MA. On the RA50, I love the harness adjuster, but I think I understand why they used the different adjuster on the two seats. Honestly, I don't see the MA being phased out. I just see the RA50 as another seat in the line-up, kind of like Graco or Evenflo has a bunch of different seats.

Jennifer mom to my 7

ANd I had both, the marathon, and the decathlon (which really, is what the roundabout 50 WILL be replacing:rolleyes:) THe adjuster I hear is better on the roundabout 50 (like the origional roundabout) than the decathlon. No lockoffs on the 50. No additional padding. I loved my marathon lockoffs! Made many installs much much easier. But, not completely necessary for a carseat savvy person. Others... I don't know. But there are so many seats out now, that have the potential to last much longer, that I hesitate to recommend a britax at all, unless they need very easy install, and/or lockoffs. And if they need lockoffs, then the 50 is out:(

brightredmtn

I imagine it has to come with a locking clip right? That might actually be a benefit to some since there are a couple of cars that have belts that are simply incompatible with the Britax lock offs. Of course there are other better seats on the market but if you want a rear facing tether and locking clip it might be a good choice since using a locking clip with an open belt path is easier than a closed (Radian.)

cpsaddict

Graco has two convertibles on the market, and Evenflo has....four? Not quite the same :p

I meant more like, um, say the Snugride. There are several versions of the seat, each with different features, but essentially the same. I didn't specifically mean convertibles.

Holly

I went back 2 weeks later, both MAs gone but the RA50 had been 30% off before and now 75% off, so I got it for $49.99 +tax! LOL, like I need it, but I was curious how it was different from the RAs I had a couple of years back.

WOW! I'd love to find one for that price! I'd get one for my niece who is pregnant for her baby to use after he's big enough. She's really young and just starting out and doesnt have much. I'm a little nervous about what car seat she'll end up with. I wish I could buy her something really awesome that would last her baby a good long time.

I love the RA50! I almost bought one but ended up going with a 2nd radian instead, just so my girls wouldn't fight over seats much. I have a FPSVD that I love, so I know I'd love this. I am not concerned with lockoffs, the only seat I ever had with lockoffs is the keyfit.

2BunniesMommy

phase, it took me a second to remember too, those darn "ph"

I found a RA50 and 2 MA on clearance at my local target a couple of weeks ago (regular stock, not online returns) I went back 2 weeks later, both MAs gone but the RA50 had been 30% off before and now 75% off, so I got it for $49.99 +tax! LOL, like I need it, but I was curious how it was different from the RAs I had a couple of years back.

Wow! Was it the one in Lancaster or the one in Palmdale? Most trips there I convince DH to go to one or the other and sometimes both and I am always hoping to find some amazing deal. No luck yet!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC