Vent Just needed to vent

ChckLiz

Just need to vent to ppl that understand! Our friends have two LO's .. one is about to be 2 on the first of next month and the other is almost 4 months. Well a bit of a background.. they had an infant carrier that only went to 22 lbs. so they bought their son a convertible.. and turned him FF at 7 months. We've told them sooooooo many times that there are greater benifits to RF and all that and they really don't care. We went to see them last night and she's already talking about putting her 3.5 month old in the convertible RF until she is 20 lbs. The baby is already pushing 16 so it's not that long. Anyways, she goes on to tell me last night that her son is now in a NBB, that the Ped. told her that he is tall enough and weighs enough to do this and that he will be safer. I really REALLY just want to slap these people! The sad part is, she knows how I feel about car seats and safety.. she probably knows I'm fuming about it right now. It's sad to say but it looks like an accident is the only way any of this will get through to them and anyone else that does similar stuff! Ewww I'm so mad!

ADS

MomToEliEm

That sounds like a frustrating situation. As long as she knows the risks (and know they are going against mfg seat limits), there isn't much more you can do. Hopefully that family never has a crash. Some boosters have an age limit of 3 or 4 for no-back boosters, but I know several that have age limit of 1, though there are height/weight minimums. What is probably more frustating is that the pediatrician said it was okay for an almost 2 year to be in a booster seat. The parent may have misunderstood the pediatrician and he actually said the child can move to combination seat, which many call as "booster" seats.

ChckLiz

That sounds like a frustrating situation. As long as she knows the risks (and know they are going against mfg seat limits), there isn't much more you can do. Hopefully that family never has a crash. Some boosters have an age limit of 3 or 4 for no-back boosters, but I know several that have age limit of 1, though there are height/weight minimums. What is probably more frustating is that the pediatrician said it was okay for an almost 2 year to be in a booster seat. The parent may have misunderstood the pediatrician and he actually said the child can move to combination seat, which many call as "booster" seats.

I wish that was the case but not where I live.. the peds. are soooo far behind on the whole car seat thing! They're always telling people to turn their kids early - mainly because the feet are touching the seat and the weight. I have to say that I've never asked my ped. anything at all about car seats! It is very fustrating.. especially when they look at me like I'm the crazy one for having Jonah RF. Oh and she also said that her son had outgrown his car seat FF.. said that it only went to 33 pounds. Um yeah, it was definitely a convertible and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the smallest harness weight limits out right now 40 pounds FF? Her son is by no means a big kid.. he weighs 30 pounds but he's shorter than Jonah who is nearly 36 in. It's just irritating.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC