Small success

trailrunnermom

I just re-installed two carseats for my nephew's DDs, after finding out his recently acquired '99 Dodge minivan did not have auto-locking seatbelts. Now the seatbelts are tightly secured with locking clips - yay! I've only been reading these boards for a few weeks, but it's been *very* educational -- thank you!! :)

ADS

scatterbunny

Than van DOES have locking belts, but it isn't how you first think (at the shoulderbelt retractor). Dodge has lightweight locking latchplates. They will hold a seat tight most of the time, though. If they do slip, it's because the latchplate is not at the correct angle with the belt (must be parallel), and a half-twist will solve the problem. :)

trailrunnermom

Dodge has lightweight locking latchplates. They will hold a seat tight most of the time, though.

Thanks -- I still have things to learn! So, if I check the belt/latchplate connection and it's the way it should be, then I don't need to add the locking clips? Or should I still use them, too? Thanks! :)

scatterbunny

No, I would not use a locking clip on belts that lock on their own UNLESS it is for a rear-facing seat, to combat tipping to one side. BUT only the belts that lock at the shoulder retractor cause tipping. The Dodge belts, because they lock at the lap portion, will not cause a seat to tip.

The shoulder portion of the belt will be loose, that's no problem. The lap portion is all that needs to be tight.

A helpful site:

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

skaterbabs

Sometimes (not often) the lightweight locking latchplates on Dodge vehicles will continue to slip even with the half-twist. Using a locking clip in this case is acceptible.
I would say, if you doubt your sibling's ability/desire/willingness to correct the issue when/if necessary, use the locking clips. We generally recommend not using them unless absolutely necessary because they are a bit tricky at best, and a real pain at worst.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC